Digital microscopes / one with LCD screen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience using digital microscopes or one which will connect with a phone etc?
I did some basic microscope work with my students at work during the week looking at soil samples, pollen grains etc, but because some students have additional educational needs they struggled to refocus the microscope to suit their eyesight. I would like to enable all of my students to participate fully.
I’m looking at the bottom end of the market as I will be purchasing it myself. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience using digital microscopes or one which will connect with a phone etc?
I did some basic microscope work with my students at work during the week looking at soil samples, pollen grains etc, but because some students have additional educational needs they struggled to refocus the microscope to suit their eyesight. I would like to enable all of my students to participate fully.
I’m looking at the bottom end of the market as I will be purchasing it myself. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Have you tried or considered a camera eyepiece? I have Brunel Microscopes Eyecam, which isn't particularly special but does the job - though I note not Mac compatible (which their more expensive ones are).

Advantages: makes use of your existing microscope optics, can be easily carried along in the case etc, assuming from your post that you already have some microscopy equipment. Responsive continuous stream, so fairly easy to make adjustments like focus, lighting etc.
Disadvantages: needs you to have (or take if you're mobile) screen/display equipment e.g. a laptop, or have access to IT where you can install drivers/software - fine if you have this already but disproportionately expensive to get in addition. Narrows the field of view (again, not an issue with the more expensive ones). The software supplied is clunky though it does the job.

There may be other eyepiece cameras that will work smoothly/seamlessly (!?) with phone/tablet screens though the one I have doesn't - and probably not at the budget end price point...

Bump.
Also looking for similar ideas/advice.
I found this one but its not Mac compatible.
I'm always wary of products that only have five star glowing reviews .. in fact, the first review on their site actually shows a picture of a different product ? The only good thing is that it's inexpensive and if you are not happy with it under the distance selling regulations you can return it for a full refund.

It looks more like a toy for kids than a serious piece of microscophy.

I use the Brunel eyepiece camera with a Brunel stereo microscope - mdotb sums up the pros and cons very well. I did get a purely digital microscope to connect to a laptop for travelling, but it is is utterly useless. The one illustrated in the link looks like the front end is similar to that one, so I would run a mile...

Have you tried or considered a camera eyepiece? I have Brunel Microscopes Eyecam, which isn't particularly special but does the job - though I note not Mac compatible (which their more expensive ones are).

Advantages: makes use of your existing microscope optics, can be easily carried along in the case etc, assuming from your post that you already have some microscopy equipment. Responsive continuous stream, so fairly easy to make adjustments like focus, lighting etc.
Disadvantages: needs you to have (or take if you're mobile) screen/display equipment e.g. a laptop, or have access to IT where you can install drivers/software - fine if you have this already but disproportionately expensive to get in addition. Narrows the field of view (again, not an issue with the more expensive ones). The software supplied is clunky though it does the job.

There may be other eyepiece cameras that will work smoothly/seamlessly (!?) with phone/tablet screens though the one I have doesn't - and probably not at the budget end price point...
Thanks for the suggestion. I currently have a very basic children’s model.

This is the one our students used. I have one for looking at Lichen etc.
This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. Are you pleased with yours? If I got a usb adapter, would I be able to use my phone screen?
Thanks

This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. Are you pleased with yours? If I got a usb adapter, would I be able to use my phone screen?
Thanks
I’ve been using it for 4-5 yrs. generic software download onto pc or Mac. Does the job, readily portable. Can’t say if it would work with a phone: the usb runs the light on the microscope.

Yes it does, I think you can save images on it to download, I have not done so, I have just had it on a hive top to look at frames under it. It works a treat, I get it focused on a spare frame, then I don't need to play with it when there are loads of bees and I have gloves etc on.

Bought this inexpensive USB ‘scope a few years back and certainly served me well via my Mac book. I was using my son’s Natural History Museum branded one before. USB Digital Microscope, Bysameyee Handheld 40X-1000X Magnification Endoscope, 8 LED Mini Video Camera for Windows 7/8/10 Mac Linux Android (with OTG) https://amzn.eu/d/aPSITCS
So much better with the stand (and case) as provides better control and accuracy. Cheap enough and does most jobs.

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpeg
    IMG_8184.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Try AliExpress but only buy if it Choice delivery https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...cdvbWVFf&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

At that end of the market you could just take the macro setting off your iPhone and take photos through the scope lens with the phone. Needs a steady hand but your students might enjoy doing this. Here are some examples of dissections and pollen I did this summer - I took the photo with my hand held iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3922.jpeg
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3904.jpeg
    IMG_3904.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
At that end of the market you could just take the macro setting off your iPhone and take photos through the scope lens with the phone. Needs a steady hand but your students might enjoy doing this. Here are some examples of dissections and pollen I did this summer - I took the photo with my hand held iPhone.
Thanks Elaine. That’s definitely worth considering.

Hi there.
Know you can fairly decent 'Electronic Microscopes' using a USC Connection. . .
Prior to answering here, ' Googled ' and it seems Amazon/Ebay/Else have them from about £20 each.
(I bought one, yet to see outside its Box 🤭 to also have a try at Pollen Analysis.) Not used it yet ! Oops. But you might have just nudged me into finding it amongst my Hanger of Bee Gear, the Garden Shed. 😉
Interested if this maybe meets your need. And you might teach me some tips. 😎

Hi there.
Know you can fairly decent 'Electronic Microscopes' using a USC Connection. . .
Prior to answering here, ' Googled ' and it seems Amazon/Ebay/Else have them from about £20 each.
(I bought one, yet to see outside its Box 🤭 to also have a try at Pollen Analysis.) Not used it yet ! Oops. But you might have just nudged me into finding it amongst my Hanger of Bee Gear, the Garden Shed. 😉
Interested if this maybe meets your need. And you might teach me some tips. 😎
I can't think or Spell tonight !!!
USB Cabled Digital Microscope for about £20 give or take. Laters. 😎

Latest posts

Back