Wheres best to put my hives. Pics of my area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What has these to do with bee keeping. Am I missing something here?

The more new age factions of bee keeping have detached themselves from conventional science . I am not member of those factions. So i would say that pyramid power and ley lines have nothing to do with anything at all, except in a humorous sense.

Last edited:
Are you really, really, sure of that.:biggrinjester:

Do PIR trees grow on Ley lines.

If there is a faction that does thermal engineering based on calculated, simulated and experimental heat flow I will join them...

PIR trees do not grow on Ley lines, that's silly, :)

they grow in our living room.

(Assembled really)

Last edited:
Lay lines...... next we will be talking about Leprechaun pinching honey

Close examination of the hedge reveals several hawthorn bushes, definite haunts of the fair folk, y tylwyth teg.

What has these to do with bee keeping. Am I missing something here?

Well, I started it so I'd better explain: For what it's worth I'm 63 years old, a pragmatist ~ and I stopped believing in fairies about 55 years ago !

Dowsing is something that you either believe in or not ... I've seen it working and whilst I can't explain why - it appears to me to work. Commonly (and for centuries) dowsing has been used to find underground water sources amongst many other things. There are also people who use dowsing to plot the track of ley lines. There is (circumstantial) evidence that bees have the ability to 'see' ley lines and some beekeepers believe that the points where ley lines intersect are attractive to bees. Furthermore, hives sited on such points appear to be less prone to disease, have calmer bees and according to some - are more productive.

There are documented instances where 'bee trees' - ie: those trees where swarms tend to congregate and where 'wild' bee colonies take up residence are often found on ley line intersects.

My position is simple ... I dowsed to find the spot to locate my hive. It costs nothing if you do it yourself, if it works then there's no harm, if it doesn't there's also no harm. I'm not suggesting that you HAVE to do it but if you are open minded, not entirely blinded by science and believe in forces beyond normal human concept then why not have a try ? Two bent bits of wire and half an hour walking around a field looking a bit daft ... floats my boat and you may be surprised at what happens !!

The bit about pyramids (introduced by DerekM I think) is a reference to some 'new age' ideas about crystals and shapes and the forces that they generate - that's a step too far for me although I know people who have a strong belief in this type of thing and if that is what they want to bring to their beekeeping then who am I to criticise ? I said nothing about anything other than dowsing ... the rest was introduced by the naysayers to try and taint the principle of dowsing which has been successfully by some beekeepers.

Tin hat, full protective suit and steel toe caps in place ...

Last edited:
If you cant predict future phenomena its an article of faith.

Symetry and quantum mechanics are pretty far out there from ordinary experience but they can be used to predict future phenomena. So until some one comes up with proper proof, ley lines, dowsing, and pyramid power are just amusements.

just how far off topic can we go?

Last edited:
If you cant predict future phenomena its an article of faith.

Symetry and quantum mechanics are pretty far out there from ordinary experience but they can be used to predict future phenomena. So until some one comes up with proper proof, ley lines, dowsing, and pyramid power are just amusements.

just how far off topic can we go?

It's not that far off ... I'm an intense advocate of insulation and 'your' ideas of beekeeping, I believe in science and giving bees what they would desire if they chose for themselves.

We all know that bees have amazing senses and a perception of their surroundings that we can barely comprehend. It may be circumstantial and anecdotal that bees find certain places and certain trees desirable and it may be a bit off the wall that dowsing can determine these places - but who knows ...as I said originally - it costs nothing, may be of benefit and it is not the single focus point of my beekeeping - just part of the mix.

I'm not advocating it as an 'essential' ... more if you fancy it - try it - it doesn't hurt.

I Have done a bit of dowsing, well I was given a demo and yes the "L" shaped rods did go in and out as I walked repeatedly over a spot of ground, now what lay beneath I don't know, It could have been a lay line or old coal mine shaft.

I Have done a bit of dowsing, well I was given a demo and yes the "L" shaped rods did go in and out as I walked repeatedly over a spot of ground, now what lay beneath I don't know, It could have been a lay line or old coal mine shaft.

Yes ... it's bizarre - and virtually anyone can do it - and the rods react in exactly the same place - even children can do it (and arguably are more successful than some adults). I even witnessed a blindfold demonstration when a real sceptic was blindfolded, twirled around and the rods put in their hand - he had no idea where he was before he was let loose ... rods crossed in exactly the same place. Very convincing but, like you, I have no idea why !

my ideas are those of:
Everett Franklin Phillips
Ed Clark
Reverend Langstroth

just with scientific measurements and modern materials

oddly all the above were American.

Last edited:
my ideas are those of:
Everett Franklin Phillips
Ed Clark
Reverend Langstroth

just with scientific measurements and modern materials

oddly all the above were American.

Try Bill Bielby .... Yorkshireman - Got there in the 1970's - You can never have too much insulation and the best way to ensure successful overwintering is to provide a completely draught proof hive - I paraphrase ... it's all in his book.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back