Wheres best to put my hives. Pics of my area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the lady in the cottage next door?

If you are going to hardcore the area with the caravan, that looks alright - lane nearby for vehicular access and the likes

That's my father's cottage next to me. There's only 3 houses in this small lane and the other one won't have any problems with the bees (I hope not anyway lol)

Will know in a few weeks if I'll be filling that land this year.

Sounds good to me. would make a great honey house.

I hope to gain the honey to turn that into a honey house. I have 6 bedrooms in my house so plenty room for a honey room. Maybe I could bring the hives into one room and make a small hole in my window for them to get out lol. Is that even legal?

There's is some waste land where wild flowers grows near me but no moors. Would I still get decent amounts of honey without rape seed or Heather near me.

Interesting question and there's only one way to find out! Here in Suffolk we bemoan the loss of ancient pasture and woodland because it has all been ploughed up for wheat/rape/sugar beet. Have you got a good beekeeping textbook which is likely to list plants and trees providing good bee forage - or doubtless many sources on line

Would I still get decent amounts of honey without rape seed or Heather near me.

We have heather not too far away (but nothing really within foraging distance) and no OSR anywhere in this part of the county - it's just hedgerows,brambles, gardens etc. and we get a decent enough crop.

But if I do that, it will block the sunlight

build long only to the north and west leave the south open and build short along the east. That way you block the north, west and north east winds and let the morning sun in and for most of the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Hives should be sheltered from wind and located in an area that gets the sun at least until early to mid afternoon and should not be in a frost pocket or waterlogged area. Food and water hopefully exists and by the looks of it you are quite remote but try to avoid positions near children or public access points also hives should be secluded to avoid light fingers getting hold of them. Access to the hives is important lugging equipment up and down grassy banks is not ideal unless you like hard work, but by the look of it you have many possible sites.

Best of luck with you beekeeping adventure.

Hives should be sheltered from wind and located in an area that gets the sun at least until early to mid afternoon and should not be in a frost pocket or waterlogged area.

Food and water hopefully exists and by the looks of it you are quite remote but try to avoid positions near children or public access points also hives should be secluded to avoid light fingers getting hold of them. Access to the hives is important lugging equipment up and down grassy banks is not ideal unless you like hard work, but by the look of it you have many possible sites.

Best of luck with you beekeeping adventure.

Gouing by what you say, these 2 sites would be best because they would recieve the direct sunlight from about 11am to 8pm (9ish) in the summer. There is nothing that gets in the way of the sun.

1st site(3 pics)
1546334_584551181622822_1099600853_n.jpg

1511171_584551408289466_1154248544_n.jpg

1503894_584551468289460_29667200_n.jpg

2nd site

In this picture, the 2nd site would be on that hill infront of the cottage (see chimney sticking out of it) The sun sets over that hill you see right above the mobile home. I would have protection from the trees/bushes right along the boundry and from behind the mobile home. However, i will position them halfway up the hill away from the wettish land that sits right at the bottom in winter time.

1510840_584551121622828_79647756_n.jpg

1475975_584551814956092_916006690_n.jpg

1486807_584551768289430_1496245392_n.jpg

1545792_584551711622769_852170032_n.jpg

These sites are at the end of a cul-de-sac road in the countryside where not many people use it apart from us and the farmer who owns the land behind ours. Will sit and think over this and select one of the 2 sits ive mention above. Hopefully one day, one of these hills is covered in hives or even better, both them:cheers2:

Face them south , find a spot now that the sun is hitting on 21 December , as low in the sky as it will ever be. From experience keep them away from the house , clothes line & road if possible . Saves a lot of arguing over the condition of the sheets on the line. Believe me they can mark them . You will get plenty of honey there our main crop is blackberry & clover & what ever else is in flower in July
You will find heather growing on the bogs as well in the West if you have access to one ( its not necessary)

. I have 6 bedrooms in my house so plenty room for a honey room.

LOL. We are not short on bedrooms, but I can't see SHMBO letting me turn one into a honey room. Suggest you get that in place before she witnesses the mess you can make during honey extraction.

In pictures places seems very windy.

I woud select a place when sun shines and hives have wind shelter.

Face them south , find a spot now that the sun is hitting on 21 December , as low in the sky as it will ever be. From experience keep them away from the house , clothes line & road if possible . Saves a lot of arguing over the condition of the sheets on the line. Believe me they can mark them . You will get plenty of honey there our main crop is blackberry & clover & what ever else is in flower in July
You will find heather growing on the bogs as well in the West if you have access to one ( its not necessary)

Theres a bog not to far from me, infact theres quite a few but the closest (going by google map) is 5km and thats taking into consideration that im traveling by road with a few twists are turns to it. A friend of mines homested is not to far from it, i might just add another hive this year and ask can i put it on his land just to see if theres much different in honey production.

LOL. We are not short on bedrooms, but I can't see SHMBO letting me turn one into a honey room. Suggest you get that in place before she witnesses the mess you can make during honey extraction.

I wear the trousers in my house so what ever i say goes (hope she not reading this though lol) This has thrown another question ive just thought about. Is it better to keep the hives indoors, like in a large shed/garage where they are away from the fierce weather we get in the west. Just curious know that ive thought about this.

In pictures places seems very windy.

I woud select a place when sun shines and hives have wind shelter.

When you say things like this so long into the thread, im now confused because i thought them 2 places i picked would be ok. Now im not to sure. :hairpull:

I wear the trousers in my house so what ever i say goes (hope she not reading this though lol) .

How old fashioned. I stop at home and send the wife out to work.

There are plenty of people keeping bees in sheds. Bee houses are quite common in some countries.
No reason why you would need to though. A bit of shelter and strapping down in winter may be helpful.

When you say things like this so long into the thread, im now confused because i thought them 2 places i picked would be ok. Now im not to sure. :hairpull:

take on board from all the advice offered:

1. Sunny position as of now (With the sun low in the sky) hives facing South(ish).

2. Sheltered position from the wind or provide windbreaks, mainly in the direction of the prevailing wind. If the winds are South(ish) make them low enough or far enough away to still keep the sun on the hives.

3. Make sure the hives are not on boggy/wet ground or in a frost hollow (you will be able to tell both of these now and make a note).

4. Take account of how far you will have to lug equipment, supers etc. so make sure it's within a distance you can manage on firm ground.

5. Get yourself a couple of dowsing rods and read up on dowsing ... or there's sure to be a dowser somewhere in your neck of the woods to give you a steer on the ley lines .... Tin Hat On .... it worked for me !

Then MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP and keep your fingers crossed ..... that's what most of us do !

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

And remember, we don't live in a perfect world so maybe none of your spots are 'ideal' but just settle for a happy medium - or your brain will blow up trying to sort it all out

I would go with the suggestion you made in post number 27 if wind is a problem provide a windbreak as was said previously no site is prefect in all regards. Old saying is ask 10 beekeepers a question and you will get 11 conflicting responses :hairpull:

There were years when my yard was open and windy. Now it has very good hedges to protect the hives.

But what is important is that hives do not stand half day shadow. It is bad. Chalkbrood was first which came to those hives.

Windy site and calm site... there was too clear difference between them in spring build up.

In open pastures I have seen how much windy/calm site affects on yield. It is about 20-30%.

Last edited:
I would go with the suggestion you made in post number 27 if wind is a problem provide a windbreak as was said previously no site is prefect in all regards. Old saying is ask 10 beekeepers a question and you will get 11 conflicting responses :hairpull:

1475975_584551814956092_916006690_n.jpg

Think i will settle for this site, right where the 2 rushes are midway up the hill. I will make a square area around it with posts and put some sort of wind block at the back. Will probably use that green netting that garenders use. With that, and the bushes just behind it, i would say there would be good wind block.

Last edited:
Back