Container beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I have a client that has intimated he would like another 15 hives on a remote site next year and I have been struggling with finding somewhere that is secure and has storage so was wondering about using a 20’ container to house the hives and act as storage.
My thoughts are I could put 600mm wide shelves around the walls and cut entry/exit holes for each hive.
Insulate the entire box with PIR to keep it cool in summer.
Put an off grid PV system on the roof to power inspection lights and maybe fans if it gets too hot.
The area under the shelves could be used to store any equipment not in use.
I think I would have to cut vents for bees to escape from once the container is shut up.
This is all very tentative as I would have to find a site where I could install the container but would what I describe be feasible?
It’s amazing what your mind does when you wake up at 4am and can’t get back to sleep! 😂

I have a client that has intimated he would like another 15 hives on a remote site next year and I have been struggling with finding somewhere that is secure and has storage so was wondering about using a 20’ container to house the hives and act as storage.
My thoughts are I could put 600mm wide shelves around the walls and cut entry/exit holes for each hive.
Insulate the entire box with PIR to keep it cool in summer.
Put an off grid PV system on the roof to power inspection lights and maybe fans if it gets too hot.
The area under the shelves could be used to store any equipment not in use.
I think I would have to cut vents for bees to escape from once the container is shut up.
This is all very tentative as I would have to find a site where I could install the container but would what I describe be feasible?
It’s amazing what your mind does when you wake up at 4am and can’t get back to sleep! 😂
A container sounds good for security but transportation and positioning to a remote site could be a show stopping nightmare unless you have friends with the necessary machinery. A nice exercise for the Royal Engineers with a Chinook? 🤔

I've had similar thoughts about a container in the past...see it as an answer to most of my storage issues ! Think it's a pretty good solution really. There's a container sales place recently opened up, on the A27 Chichester bypass...looks like they create/convert containers into...well, whatever you want (I think!)...just saying...;)

A container sounds good for security but transportation and positioning to a remote site could be a show stopping nightmare unless you have friends with the necessary machinery. A nice exercise for the Royal Engineers with a Chinook? 🤔
Sorry John,
When I said remote I meant remote from his existing site where he has his bees . I was thinking more of on the edge of a field or hard standing.

There are 2nd hand insulated containers too
I know but my initial thoughts was that I would weld supports to the walls to ensure rigidity of the shelf which would be difficult with insulation in place.

No need to invent, type into google picture search: pčelarski kontejner

My friend has 2 containers ( 40ish hives in each), You need only 30ish minutes to pack it on truck ( no heavy lifting) and drive where ever You want.. This summer I helped him a bit and where he goes with truck and container I wouldn't like to go with a car ( high mountain with bad road of about 8km). After we moved to a plain were wheat was days before in that field..
For migratory beekeeping I think is the best ( 2 man pack it and unpack it in 30 or even less minutes if trained)..
We come into evening and drive overnight..
Some who hasn't got own truck pay for transport. Also I saw smaller ones which go on a trailer and driven by SUVs.
There are myriads of options.
I myself for many reasons am not migratory beekeeper to don't go into further explanations..

Thanks Goran, that’s a bit more sophisticated that I was think about and I don’t want to for migration but very interesting.

What's to stop hive thieves lifting the whole container?
Same thing that stops them clearing out complete, traditional, apiaries; unexpected interruption or an unprecedented bout of honesty. Failing that they'll steal anything, locked down or not

Pros and cons, for thieves is lot of work.. Not so easy money, have to work a lot to reshape or chop down into pieces, need a truck. So they want easy and fast money.. It happens but rare. There are various GPS, tiny cameras, etc..

I certainly think it would reduce the number of potential thieves due to the fact few have a truck with a hijab on it,
You rarely overhear the following conversation down the pub. “Psssst, fancy a 20’ container full of bees?” 😁

I certainly think it would reduce the number of potential thieves due to the fact few have a truck with a hijab on it,
You rarely overhear the following conversation down the pub. “Psssst, fancy a 20’ container full of bees?” 😁
But assuming they have the lifter (which may also be stolen, given how certain groups operate), it's a darned sight simpler pick up a container than say 30 individual colonies. All they need to do is remove the hives at leisure and repaint the container.

Just realised the predictive text on my iPhone has decided the the truck is Muslim!!!!!! 🤣

Latest posts

Back