What's it to you?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Here's a question. What value (expressed in monetary terms) would you put on a hive and why?

What kind of hive? New or used? With or without bees? If so, how many frames of brood?

Cedar hive empty new with foundations and 2 supers = £350.00
bees full colony...................................................= £250.00
honey in supers.................................................. = £200.00
Enjoyment and entertainment value ....................... = priceless
Days out in the country........................................ = priceless

it may sound silly but i had to think for ages as i dont put a monetary value on my hive, its my first, got my bees as a nuc late last year had no honey from them fed them medicated them but this doesnt influence the fact that to me they are priceless, in the short time ive had them ive come to love them and respect them , they are so relaxing to watch it is almost therapeutic just to see them come and go with pollen nectar and water etc.

What kind of hive? New or used? With or without bees? If so, how many frames of brood?

This is not a 'commercial' question. The physical cost of a canvass and the oil paints used to paint a picture bear no relation to what a punter might pay for the finished painting. Similarily, the use of the term priceless is meaningless because it doesn't convey a 'tangible' value.

So my question is what's a hive worth to you?

Whats it worth to me? If someone said I'll give you some money if you give up beekeeping I'd say about £500,000, so my hive is worth £500,000
Nah...changed my mind, not giving up, I love bees...:)

Last edited:
No sorry, too busy with bees to ponder that stuff.:banghead:

You dont seem to say if you have bees. I suggest you get some and answer your own question in 12 months time

The hives aren't worth much to me at all.
The bees, on the other hand... :)

Here's a question. What value (expressed in monetary terms) would you put on a hive and why?

how much is the going rate for a sunset or maybe a rainbow...

This is not a 'commercial' question. The physical cost of a canvass and the oil paints used to paint a picture bear no relation to what a punter might pay for the finished painting. Similarily, the use of the term priceless is meaningless because it doesn't convey a 'tangible' value.

You asked for it in monetary terms. Hence my questions. Impossible to put a monetary value in this context.
Mind you, for £120k I will sell you my 12 hives very full of bees.

The value of our bees and hives relate to us the same way that a painting does the basics cost a bit, the result is priceless for us it als orelates to improved pea and bean crops along with all the other bits we grow... ... ... so no i couldnt price them but value and worth? well,- i suppose - how about life changing? get home stressed listen tothem for a while calm down or being clam look ar bees and start panicing i need todo something, always provide interersts, calm, challange and provoke thought and smiles

how much is the going rate for a sunset or maybe a rainbow...

But is that confounding the value that you place on your hive if only because those things can be experienced without your bees no more so than is enjoyed by say ramblers, photographers, artists etc?

Or is it that your relationship with your bees brings you deeper into physical contact with nature rather than spectating on it?

Redwood has it.
You can't put a monetary value on the enjoyment and angst a colony of bees gives its beekeeper....or perhaps that's just the sort of figure you'd like.
Before I retired I spent a lot of time on globetrotting holidays and eating out etc
:party:
and keeping bees never entered my head save on the odd occasion when I reminded myself that I'd always wanted to keep bees but was too busy.
If I was to re live that time then I'd say maybe 15K a year.

In that case, I would say the hive is worth more to the bees than to the beekeeper, after all, it's just a box to us, not our home...

But is that confounding the value that you place on your hive if only because those things can be experienced without your bees no more so than is enjoyed by say ramblers, photographers, artists etc?

Or is it that your relationship with your bees brings you deeper into physical contact with nature rather than spectating on it?

Kind of, I get most of my spirtual experiences when immersed in the stillness of nature. Beekeeping is a part of this. It would be like asking a Christian how much she would sell her treasured bible or maybe her church for. The bees provide me with food and the surplus I give away - as a gift from the bees.
I own the bees as much as I own any other part of nature. Personally, I feel I have no ethical right to sell them.

Last edited:
Similarily, the use of the term priceless is meaningless because it doesn't convey a 'tangible' value.

On the contrary. the term 'priceless' implies that the item does not have a tangible value. Not everything has one. Many things have a tangible value to some people but not to others. Bees being a case in point.

Many people know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back