What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cousin's farm - he doesn't do much with these middle fields, another one this size next to it and two more the other side of the woods and another area about the same size the other side of the house, must be fifty sixty acres which has had nothing more than a cut of silage taken off every year - no fertilizers and not much grazing for ten years, all the manure is spread on another 50 acres (His grandmother's old farm) the other side of the lane which was very poorly put back after open cast mining in the early seventies. There's also the 'top fields' which used to be mountain land in commons but was stolen by the Cawdors in the 1860's then rented to his great grandfather before his father bought it back. this hardly gets meddled with at all.
fb2.jpgfb.jpgfb3.jpgfb4.jpg

My cousin's farm - he doesn't do much with these middle fields, another one this size next to it and two more the other side of the woods and another area about the same size the other side of the house, must be fifty sixty acres which has had nothing more than a cut of silage taken off every year - no fertilizers and not much grazing for ten years, all the manure is spread on another 50 acres (His grandmother's old farm) the other side of the lane which was very poorly put back after open cast mining in the early seventies. There's also the 'top fields' which used to be mountain land in commons but was stolen by the Cawdors in the 1860's then rented to his great grandfather before his father bought it back. this hardly gets meddled with at all.
View attachment 32290View attachment 32291View attachment 32292View attachment 32293
Absolutely beautiful

We have a hedge of Japanese Spindle tree which is just about flowering. The bees go mad on it for a couple of weeks.
IMG_0799.jpgIMG_4.jpg

Thankyou it brings joy every year and just gets better. Here are some pics from 10-11 years ago when we started to clear this overgrown field - long neglected but fundamentally unimproved grassland. Then harrowed ready for seeding.

The RSPB donated basic meadow seed - meadow grasses, yellow rattle, eyebright, meadow buttercup and of course original seed buried deep in the soil. I then germinated and grew over 1000 plugs of perennial wildflowers a year for the last 10 years and planted in the meadow. Have also sprinkled orchid seed and other wildflower seed collected locally. It’s cut each august after the yellow rattle and most of the wildflowers have seeded and our farmer neighbour puts sheep on the aftermath and he takes the hay for his cows and sheep. Win-win for both of us. I now collect some of the seed late summer and donate to others interested in creating a patch locally. Has over 40 species of wildflowers and 20 species of meadow grasses.

Has been a long project but you can’t rush good things! Like you, I have memories of growing up in rural Lincolnshire, collecting and pressing wildflowers for school projects and have always wanted to recreate one. Sadly we’ve lost 96% of our wildflower meadows since the last world war
What a brilliant project👏🏻
You are right to be proud of what you've achieved because it's really something special

I love 'overgrown'! When its poor soil that is, and what you get isn't just grasses, nettles and thistles! My place is (increasingly) a riot of hedges, self-sown trees, bramble, and far too many native plant species to list. I love the way it offers a feast for small mammals and birds in the autumn, carrying all those flowering seeds far and wide. The bees help with pollination, giving large crops: the birds do the rest, and both are in their own ways 'farming' the landscape - creating more and more available food sources. Interestingly they (of course) sow much more underneath overhead power lines! I use a few sheep to (semi) manage most of the land, badgers dig up seeds and create open soil as they seek winter food. Every year it all gets more blissful, and I haven't planted a thing other than native hedging.

IMG_20210821_110234.jpgIMG_20210821_110045.jpg

We have just over half an acre of phacelia just coming into flower. The honey and bumble bees love it. It helps with the June gap. The buzz of the bees is greatIMG_20220602_151224.jpg

No June gap here this year,from dandilion to maple and sycamore and horse chestnut then to hawthorn and as it went over they moved on to wild raspberries cabbage palm, phacelia and now the blackberries are starting, apiary sounds like a train, first combs of spring honey are being sealed. So far so good.

I have a huge pyracantha immediately beside the hives. The bees love it.
Sadly my huge pyracantha has just gone over. It has been a magnet for my hives over several days. Now waiting for blackberry - nearly there and then lime at the end of the month. Just hope conditions are right for lime - would make a real boost for this years harvest.

Have a feeling we've had the right early conditions for good lime this year. Just need the right weather at flowering.

Latest posts

Back