What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brambles out in force down South. Drove up to North Yorkshire this evening after work and whilst it was too dark for me to tell in God's own county, most of the way up here the brambles were out or just starting to open.

Wish I lived up here.

Bees are loving the white alliums I’ve planted over last 2 years, several bees to a flower. Must have some sort of heady nectar as they are almost static on the flowers, drinking it in
On a similar note, I had some leeks from winter that started to bolt late spring so I’ve left them to flower.

The sap of buttercups contains the toxic compound protoanemonin and some of this is found in the pollen. Maybe the bees detect this and avoid collecting it.
Buttercups and horse paddocks are not a good mix. Contact around the face can lead to "buttercup burn" and the pollen can cause respiratory problems. I hammer mine with Grazon every year but they take a hell of a lot of killing. Tough as old boots!

On a similar note, I had some leeks from winter that started to bolt late spring so I’ve left them to flower.
Leave them to flower and finally go to seed - insects love the flowers and one head of leek sees will give you enough seed not to have to buy any more .... if you want you can let them self seed - you'll get hundreds of leeklets which you can thin out.

Leave them to flower and finally go to seed - insects love the flowers and one head of leek sees will give you enough seed not to have to buy any more .... if you want you can let them self seed - you'll get hundreds of leeklets which you can thin out.

Not sure, as I only grow "standard" varieties, but I think quite a few leeks are F1 so they may not come true to type. They may be sufficiently good that it won't matter however.

James

I leave parsnips to flower, some of the stalks are well over 6' tall and the bees seem to be enjoying them. Elephant garlic about the bloom, bees always seem to like it.

Francis Lester is now in full bloom up through the Rowan and it's covered in bees. Had an al fresco lunch and watched a huge Hornet hunting around the blooms before it spotted one poor Honey bee, nose deep in the nectar and pounced.
Edna won't be going home.

Francis Lester is now in full bloom up through the Rowan and it's covered in bees. Had an al fresco lunch and watched a huge Hornet hunting around the blooms before it spotted one poor Honey bee, nose deep in the nectar and pounced.
Edna won't be going home.
Edna? That's a strange name for a bee........ my wife reckons their names all start with "B"

Still have three Hawthorn trees in full flower dont know why but they always bloom about about two or three weeks after the rest has finished which helps a lot .Bramble is now flowering as well

Mine are on this - there’s lots of it along field edges and along drainage channels. I’m not sure what it is. Grey pollen I think.
22AADF1E-419D-4552-8446-773F590F089F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back