What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When is lime supposed to flower..here in the north east it has flowered and gone..i suppose like everything else this year it was a month earlier than it should have been.

Any day now in this area, always much later here compared to up north.

Yep, just about to open in the hot and humid conditions.....could this be the one year in five?
E

Yep, just about to open in the hot and humid conditions.....could this be the one year in five?
E

There are bumbles working the two European limes (Linden?) in our garden. I can’t see any honeybees but there must be something. Brambles around my apiary were being worked yesterday. First clear signs of fresh nectar on the frames too.

A 3 acre field is in full flower with clover and the phacelia field is still going for it..the thistle fields are just starting to go into bud and that is when the good forage starts as it is right on there doorstep..

Regarding phacilia is it a member of the borage family because the honey I extracted yesterday is very similar to borage honey.

A 3 acre field is in full flower with clover and the phacelia field is still going for it..the thistle fields are just starting to go into bud and that is when the good forage starts as it is right on there doorstep..

Regarding phacilia is it a member of the borage family because the honey I extracted yesterday is very similar to borage honey.

It is the same family Steve boraginaceae probably spelt it wrong .
The thistle's are just opening here and as you know there's miles and miles of thistle's growing on the clee .
Last year I topped some to get a second flush of flowers .
It sounds like your having a goodish season?

I thought it might be interesting for UK beekeepers to see the state of the blackberries here in mid-winter. Your blackberries must be in full bloom. Frost on them this morning. Blackberries were brought here in the 1840's by James Fenton up on the North West Coast.

Attachments

• Attach6677_20190625_082431.jpeg
    Attach6677_20190625_082431.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 26
I researched blackberries and Fenton a little further. Apparently he came out from Ireland via London and planted three blackberry seedlings in the 1840's at Forth (NW Tas). Assuming he brought them from England on the ship, would anyone know (or take a guess) what the particular variety of blackberry might be? I didn't know there were so many! I also discovered that he was a beekeeper. No doubt the blackberries produced some honey for him too.

https://www.tasmanianbeekeepers.org.au/history/

You might also be interested in that the first shipments of Amms to arrive and survive in Tasmania came from a farm just outside Thirsk in North Yorkshire; a few miles away from where I live.
I've the details somewhere...If I find them I'll post a link

You might also be interested in that the first shipments of Amms to arrive and survive in Tasmania came from a farm just outside Thirsk in North Yorkshire; a few miles away from where I live.
I've the details somewhere...If I find them I'll post a link

You learn something new every day 👍

A lot of nectar coming in in south London hives. Getting on for a full super in a week. Bramble well and truly out , not much activity around lime trees.

Limes well out here now and have seen a few chestnut starting already

The 10 acres of clover is going for it big time..the bramble is also going berserk with a bean field following the 15 acres of thistle..

Oh Mama... hope you have plenty of supers.

10 acres field next to my apiary also starts white clover, flowers just coming up, bees not working yet, probably in a few days.

Oh Mama... hope you have plenty of supers.

10 acres field next to my apiary also starts white clover, flowers just coming up, bees not working yet, probably in a few days.

Supers are my problem..I only have 19 and 17 are getting filled at the moment which leaves me with two spares...I will have to juggle and extract or buy more..we will have to see how it pans out.

Supers are my problem..I only have 19 and 17 are getting filled at the moment which leaves me with two spares...I will have to juggle and extract or buy more..we will have to see how it pans out.

A nice problem to have.

Sounds like your having a great year Millet... my hives are filling slowly but at least they are filling and looks like were in for a bit of settled weather.

Bell heather flowering on the heath....

Bell heather out on North Yorks moors also. Taking a few hives up there tomorrow and see if I get a few supers of the elusive bell crop.

Back