What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are all moving to your area then it's been raining all week here ... Oo I saw the sun yesterday for 5 mins and a two week old swarm decided to swarm.
What a season this is turning out to be.
5 mins is alright, I think for us it appeared for 30sec to say hello and then was gone.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

It's not too bad on the Somerset levels. I think the surrounding hills keep the rain off. I am amazed your lime is over already. Ours have the flower buds but not open yet. And yes the ceonothis has been a bee magnet here too but it is all over now. The brambles are still in bud. The nice farmer down the road has planted an acre of borage and an acre of phacelia which should help my summer flow when it flowers.
Just sent a sample of the spring crop off to the honey testing lab for testing for pollen. Will be interested to see what comes back. I don't know how accurate they are. This is the first lot I have ever sent.
E

There are two fields of field beans flowering right next to my hives. Am I right in thinking the bees can't get nectar from these as the flowers are too deep for their tongues, like runner beans are? Or is there a chance they can get some nectar from them?

I do hope you are not tempting fate. Where does all the rain water end up?

Luckily we are above any flood level. In fact if the tide came in at Weston supermare I would be on the coast!!!!!!

There are two fields of field beans flowering right next to my hives. Am I right in thinking the bees can't get nectar from these as the flowers are too deep for their tongues, like runner beans are? Or is there a chance they can get some nectar from them?

Honey bees will work field beans well and give you a crop. I used to be paid by the farmer to put mine on field beans! Those were the days! They get the nectar by using holes made by other insects apparently!
E

So had a proper look at what was in the hedges and locally while we were having a wander.
Brambles, Elder, Dog rose, Wild daisy, Wild Honey Suckle. Cow Parsley, Lime and what we think may be Cockspur thorn.
But while its nice having all these, what will honey bees chose, as even the bramble was mainly bumbles.
picture.php

Last edited:
Do people feel things are flowering early/late/about normal this year in south east?

Do people feel things are flowering early/late/about normal this year in south east?
Is only our first full year with the bees, so its difficult to say what is normal, but the last few years the seasons have been all over the place. it was a bit early but now reminds us of 2010 weather as we had a wet June then.

Honey bees will work field beans well and give you a crop. I used to be paid by the farmer to put mine on field beans! Those were the days! They get the nectar by using holes made by other insects apparently!
E

Thanks Enrico. Good to know and be ready for. No brambles in flower here yet.

Last edited:
Is only our first full year with the bees, so its difficult to say what is normal, but the last few years the seasons have been all over the place. it was a bit early but now reminds us of 2010 weather as we had a wet June then.

I think we are a little late down here (was going to say behind down here but then realised some would jump on that with delight).

Things about normal here just need some warmth and the flow should be on.

Yes that was what I was thinking - forecast seem to promise warm and dry weather but it keep raining.

Latest posts

Back