What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a honey bee collecting pollen from common scurvygrass right at the edge of a beach today, didn't realise they foraged beaches

"Stinger" eugh, horrible Americanism.
It's a sting.

I'm not Americanized in any way shape or form..so please try not to be a grammar expert and i quite like your more sensible posts which i would like to keep reading..

Last edited by a moderator:
Persicaria 'firetail' aka Red Bistort is a very popular nectar source on warn sunny days this time of year and flowers right into November. A large scraggly plant/shrub that comes back stronger every year and needs a good bit of space, all told the tiny flower heads on the spikes total in their thousands. I have 4 or 5 now all split from the parent rhizome after winter before the new season growth appears, they love my clay based soil I have here. Rhizome sits in shallow scrape and soon roots and is hardy they don't like rich matter around them.. Plant in a sunny spot.
I acquired my example about 8 years ago from a single flower spike/stem I found on an allotment compost, my bees were paying the small flowers carried on the spikes much attention buy the plant wasn't flourishing. But is now.

Hebe's still out they love the white variety.

Last edited:
Epacris impressa or Common Heath, out now.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_133118820.jpg
    IMG_20190804_133118820.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 25
Among loads of other wild flower forage the broad leaf willow herb is in full flower and the bees love it.

Never seen a honeybee on it until late summer, it goes on longer than rosebay willowherb and bramble but certainly doesn't interest my bees until they're gone.

As Hemo says Persicaria is very popular with the bees. I have a row of them in the apiary and red, pink and white varieties elsewhere in the garden. It does attract wasps but perhaps it keeps wasps away from the hives....

I have a large Bronze Fennel, all it attracts is Wasps. Oregano is my No1 best favourite Honey Bee plant, it's covered in them. Also have some Mallow that they love, end up as ghost bees much like HB.

I have a large Bronze Fennel, all it attracts is Wasps. Oregano is my No1 best favourite Honey Bee plant, it's covered in them. Also have some Mallow that they love, end up as ghost bees much like HB.

That's interesting - do you know what type of mallow? I have common mallow and dwarf mallow in my garden but the bees dont seem interested in either. The common mallow is huge as well.

Mine are now on the Himalayan Balsom - it's been flowering for a while but only now being beed.

Persicaria is certainly a wasp magnet so does keep them occupied.

Lavatera belongs to the mallow family and my one 'Barnsley' variety sees many bees visiting and yes the pollen anthers give the bees the appearance that HB gives them.

Mine collected a lot of light grey/brown pollen. It turned out to be Bulrush. Do they get any nectar as well from this source?

Mine collected a lot of light grey/brown pollen. It turned out to be Bulrush. Do they get any nectar as well from this source?

ASs far as I know Bulrush isn't a nectar source.

Excellent little video..how do you get them up on here please..
Cheers.
Steve.

You need to upload your video to another site such as u-tube or drop box. Then you find what the address is to that video (the URL) and post that link address on here.
Currently you cannot upload videos to here and have them play. They need to be somewhere else in cyberspace.

You need to upload your video to another site such as u-tube or drop box. Then you find what the address is to that video (the URL) and post that link address on here.
Currently you cannot upload videos to here and have them play. They need to be somewhere else in cyberspace.

Millet - what he said :)

Latest posts

Back