What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reckon that may be it, Murox.

There are historic references to gorse in Barking & Dagenham - Furze Hill Farm and Gorsebrook Road were two found without trying - and a 2013 thread included JBM quoting FN Howes' view of gorse, and Susbees suggested that although gorse is usually good for pollen only, it will produce nectar when weather is warm. It's been warm!

Saw a lot of gorse in flower last week a mile north on the A12. Going to West Surrey today, which is sandy and acidic and covered in gorse, so I'll see what's coming in.

Last edited:
Reckon that may be it, Murox.

There are historic references to gorse in Barking & Dagenham - Furze Hill Farm and Gorsebrook Road were two found without trying - and a 2013 thread included a JBM quoting FN Howes view of gorse, and Susbees suggested that although gorse is usually good for pollen only, it will produce nectar when weather is warm. It's been warm!

Saw a lot of gorse in flower last week a mile north on the A12. Going to West Surrey today, which is sandy and acidic and covered in gorse, so I'll see what's coming in.
Interesting I've observed bees foraging on the gorse numerous times and at different times of the year.
I have wondered before if gorse produces some nectar considering they will go from flower to flower quickly and other times opening the flowers with a spray of pollen.

OSR starting to come out here in the Lothians. Lots of Gorse as well. Hope this cold snap will be short lived!

At this end of the country it's really not got cold at all yet despite what the forecasters have been saying. The peak temperatures have dropped off a bit this week, but the overnight temperatures have also increased, quite possibly leaving the average little different from last week. I was still comfortable outside in t-shirt and shorts today, albeit helping to keep myself warm by shifting quite a few wheelbarrow loads full of compost. On Monday night (more early Tuesday morning really) the low was only fractionally below 10°C!

Getting some rain right now, but actually we probably really need it. In places the ground was starting to crack.

It is forecast to get colder over the next few days, but as the last few haven't really matched the predictions very well I have no idea what to expect.

James

It is forecast to get colder over the next few days, but as the last few haven't really matched the predictions very well I have no idea what to expect.
all standing water had a thin coating of ice when I left the chickens out this morning

Each day I lose a little more faith, what a wonderful sight to behold this morning. Access to the mountainside where I walk my dogs is via two gates and last year, notices were attached reminding everyone that Bluebells are protected and to not go picking them.
This morning I found a much wider path that continued further than it did. In fact, it continued to the crest and then down to the more level, meadow area where they went on to mow that entire area. There is no grass yet, all they did was remove the entire insulating blanket of bracken, leaving the Bluebells chopped down to about three inches and looking a bit yellow, having been exposed.
We have walked and enjoyed this area for more than forty years and it has never been mowed, now it's mutilated. I'm fuming.

Do you know anything about heather honey? Particularly the kind that's clear?
Goodness yes .... all my single crop heather honey is clear .... comes from the heather plant in the rockery in my front garden .... a super full on every hive. I know it was heather because it has a pinky tinge and I could hear my bees humming:

Gorse, damson and laurel in bloom. Willow still going strong.

Cherry on the way.

Hawthorn in leaf, as are quince and medlar. Apples thinking about it.

Forget me nots out and some borage is blooming too.

Gorse, damson and laurel in bloom. Willow still going strong.

Cherry on the way.

Hawthorn in leaf, as are quince and medlar. Apples thinking about it.

Forget me nots out and some borage is blooming too.
Fingers crossed the pear and other blossoms here don't get nipped off by frost again this year. Last year saw a lot of tender growth killed off by ill timed frost.

Latest posts

Back