What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had an exceptionally mild winter which seems to have moved most things forward a bit, but just from observation the flowering time for OSR appears to have moved forward a couple of weeks since we moved here eighteen years ago.

Could be mustard though, I guess. From a road through a hedge it's tricky to tell :)

James
How much above the long term average are you?

Dandelions were out in force in the nearby cemetery, until the council came along with the lawnmowers yesterday :(
The short ones have survived, but it was still disappointing. On the other hand there are several large laurels in the cemetery too and they've opened up over the past couple of days.

Walking by the loch this morning - saw my first primroses of the season and was entranced by the volume of bumble bees going for a willow in full pollen mode.

My damsons are out too. The pear bluefin is plumping up. All in time for -2 degrees forecast this week
it happened at exactly the same point last year, but to be honest, 2021 was the best Damson crop I've ever had
Funnily enough, as I set off for the WBKA convention yesterday morning the car windscreen started icing over, if I'd have left5 the house ten minutes layer as was my intention I would have had to have de-iced properly before setting off.

I thought I’d pulled up the Himalayan Balsom last year before it seeded, but clearly not....
I should have a good crop this year looking at the seedlings sprouting up.
The picture is of only a small area - the seedlings are everywhere along the river bank.
11881489-229B-4BCB-AABB-7D0F3D805A32.jpeg

I thought I’d pulled up the Himalayan Balsom last year before it seeded
Be prepared for another few years of pulling up - it has quite a long seedbank so even if you had stopped any at all last year you have another five years stored in the soil.

Oh heck! The river flooded in November and I thought had washed seeded silt onto the garden, but perhaps not. If I leave them, the bees will be happy, but I won’t!

Oh heck! The river flooded in November and I thought had washed seeded silt onto the garden, but perhaps not. If I leave them, the bees will be happy, but I won’t!
That's the trouble with the stuff - I was talking to our conservation officer last week about it, and as he said, there's nothing more demoralising than clearing a few miles of riverbank totally of HB but knowing there's loads growing further upstream and their seeds will soon find their way downstream again.

Latest posts

Back