What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve felt very fortunate walking on the moors last few days. Question why I ever feel we should think of moving - happens every windswept winter!
I know the feeling we blow hot and cold with moving, then the spring arrives and most days I comment how much I love the garden!! Nothing like yours though

Noticed a few fields of rape on the other side of the village yesterday. Wouldn’t have realised as last few years they have been broad beans or wheat, but a few have started to flower. Best get those supers ready…… we’re taking a short break in Spain soon so thinking I should pop supers on before I go just in case the weather stays warm and it starts flowering in earnest while we are away!

Both only out on southerly facing banks. The ones in the woods aren't flowering yet.

Our solitary one on the patio bas been flowering for a week but the ones the other end of the garden are just shoots.

Flowering cherry covered in various bumblebees yesterday. Lesser celandine, willow and reaching the tail end of blackthorn I think. Some comfrey in sunny spots plus primrose. The quince is in leaf so hopefully flowering soon. Nothing really major. Will touch base with local OSR farmer later.

Nothing new to report in the garden though I’m tuned into wildlife as so much is changing with the improvement in weather.

We have lots that like the garden, pesky pheasants that gather under the bird feeders and eat my plants. Mr and Mrs duck who have now arrived and scoop up frogspawn in the pond, some rabbits and deer too and we protect with chicken wire, important small trees. V rare to see grey squirrels but get dispatched, to protect the small birds. Our neighbour farmer focussed on magpies and moles.

On a positive note, hares are my favourites and I don’t think they do any damage in the garden. Here’s a mad March one at my kitchen window in our neighbours field last night. He or she was on its hind legs but I couldn’t get to my phone in time. See them most days. Would love to see a boxing pair, a photographer often comes down our lane and takes wonderful shots that I sometime see on FB

Attachments

• 36514ACC-DEDF-4433-8149-1E71CF294C83.jpeg
    36514ACC-DEDF-4433-8149-1E71CF294C83.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Flowering current blooming well on the Sussex/Hants border today.

Back