What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walking the dogs this morning, Spring is definitely here, the Song Thrushes have been heralding it's arrival for some time and the Chiff chaffs calling the past few days confirm it's here. Bluebells are up around six inches or more in the more sheltered areas in the trees, nothing from Blackthorn yet, Willow is the same. Coming up out of the trees, all the Gorse on the hill is flowering well, heard my friend the Greater Spotted Pylon Pecker playing out his tune. Brrrrrrrrroing, echoing out as a Red Kite soars low over the field. A large bank of Lesser Celandine is beginning to burst into colour along with a few Forget me nots.

Walking the dogs this morning, Spring is definitely here, the Song Thrushes have been heralding it's arrival for some time and the Chiff chaffs calling the past few days confirm it's here. Bluebells are up around six inches or more in the more sheltered areas in the trees, nothing from Blackthorn yet, Willow is the same. Coming up out of the trees, all the Gorse on the hill is flowering well, heard my friend the Greater Spotted Pylon Pecker playing out his tune. Brrrrrrrrroing, echoing out as a Red Kite soars low over the field. A large bank of Lesser Celandine is beginning to burst into colour along with a few Forget me nots.
Isn't it interesting the difference in location? Not yet heard a chiff chaff although have been listening hard, no bluebells in sight, blackthorn and willow have been flowering for the last couple of weeks along with the celendines!

Blackthorn is puzzling me somewhat.

Here in my corner of Warwickshire bordering Worcestershire and the West Midlands there is a lack of Blackthorn that has naturally seeded anywhere, not in hedgerows and woodland. There is however Stacks blossoming in gardens, motorway embankments and also other places where it has been planted. Why is there a general lack of the wildstuff?

Haven't seen a thrush in years

Haven't seen a thrush in years
They nest in my garden every year but the nests get robbed out. Lovely things glued with mud. Early nesters before there is much cover. We have dealt with all the squirrels but can’t do anything about the magpies.

Poetic! Heard the curlews on the moors today. Love their song

Aside from a few hellebores, snowdrops and the odd early pulmonaria, just 3 main plants in flower at 1000ft in the south Pennines, that the bees were attracted to today

Marsh marigold in the pond - bees all over it.
Small species tulips I planted in bulk, opened today and every flower had a bee on, pollen completely raided, lovely to watch.
Large Curly hazel in the corner of the garden, bees were going bonkers on it today. They were buzzing almost louder than the birds were singing

Alder not out yet. Goat willow at least a couple of weeks or more away, depending on weather.

Lots to come though, it’s interesting to read how our areas are so different.

Walked up onto the moor onto the Pennine way above where I live and saw frogs in peat ponds, curlews, kestrels, grouse, lapwings, and lots of dried up heather.

Love spring, my favourite time, so much to look forward to

Attachments

• DE984459-2172-40EF-9338-DB67833B4676.jpeg
    DE984459-2172-40EF-9338-DB67833B4676.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 4C04EE3C-E947-4881-B24C-9DBDCF0B618F.jpeg
    4C04EE3C-E947-4881-B24C-9DBDCF0B618F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 844AE576-7195-4096-87E0-43DF3A0F631E.jpeg
    844AE576-7195-4096-87E0-43DF3A0F631E.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 19
Watched a bee on primroses for the first time yesterday!

Aside from a few hellebores, snowdrops and the odd early pulmonaria, just 3 main plants in flower at 1000ft in the south Pennines, that the bees were attracted to today

Small species tulips I planted in bulk, opened today and every flower had a bee on, pollen completely raided, lovely to watch.
Large Curly hazel in the corner of the garden, bees were going bonkers on it today. They were buzzing almost louder than the birds were singing

Alder not out yet. Goat willow at least a couple of weeks or more away, depending on weather.

Walked up onto the moor onto the Pennine way above where I live and saw frogs in peat ponds, curlews, kestrels, grouse, lapwings, and lots of dried up heather.

Good shots. Did that moor ever have trees on it?

Fabulous photographs beautiful area,very fortunate

Latest posts

Back