What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow Himalayan balsam just doesn't grow in any noticeable amount within reach of my bees. One solitary plant appeared in a drainage dyke adjacent to my land two years ago then nothing last year. I know it grows in abundance on the banks of the Yorkshire Ouse only about five miles away so growing conditions should be about right here. Unlike others I would be happy to see it nearby.🤔

Was amazed while our walking today by the drifts of wood anemones this year. I've never seen such quantities!

Saw first queen bumblebee of the year yesterday
Woke up this morning to see the cat looking intently at my bedside book; thought it was an overnight bee brought home from work, but it turned out to be a hibernated queen wasp, yawning and stretching just like us.

seen a few queen bumbles in the last few days, one whopper of a one has been taking a real interest in the new shed - much to the consternation of the shed fitter who popped over last night to put the finishing touches to the last window. (I suppose working within spitting distance of a dozen and a half beehives didn't help!!)

Pear orchards are flowering
Do bees work them well, Mark?

Pear is said to be low in sugar and bees will ignore them if anything better is on offer. Read that farmers would cut the orchard to get rid of dandelion and oblige bees to attend to the pear.

Bought a few plants last few days, all bee friendly of course. One bumble bee followed me round the nursery settling on a white currant in my trolley until I got to the car. These new varieties of hellebores have stunning colours and were soon covered in bees once I brought home. Staying in the cold frame with other bee friendly purchases, until the snow / hard frost is over this coming week!

Attachments

• F84232A0-546F-4A2C-9D10-0D0091AB555F.jpeg
    F84232A0-546F-4A2C-9D10-0D0091AB555F.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • 2DFEEB83-9408-4E61-BB6E-79BFB66896CA.jpeg
    2DFEEB83-9408-4E61-BB6E-79BFB66896CA.jpeg
    3 MB
  • D56C4F13-C627-474F-8DCF-D78C1E865A38.jpeg
    D56C4F13-C627-474F-8DCF-D78C1E865A38.jpeg
    1.6 MB
They are very pretty. We have hundreds of the old fashioned ones in the garden. Lots have hybridised. The only ones we can’t grow are the wild hellebores. I’ve tried. We have one left. The bumbles love them

Do bees work them well, Mark?

Pear is said to be low in sugar and bees will ignore them if anything better is on offer. Read that farmers would cut the orchard to get rid of dandelion and oblige bees to attend to the pear.
There being worked no dandelions there at the moment, humming.

Blackthorn is coming into flower properly here now, just about, as is our damson, and there are a few signs of flowers on the plums. Hawthorn doesn't look like it will be too far behind either. I noticed today that the flower buds are fattening up.

What really has surprised me though is that having seen no sign of it other than one field closer to Taunton, even as recently as the weekend, suddenly there are fields of OSR breaking into flower all over the place. Some of them I drive past five times a week, so I'm sure I'd have noticed if they'd been flowering any earlier.

James

Plums are in full bloom here with Greengage and Pears close to opening, I am worried a late frost might put paid to the Blossom. Bees working away on Rosemary, late Snowdrops, Hyacinth, Scilla, willow, Gorse however, not yet seen any Dandelion yet but plenty Ribes (Flowering current).

Took wild comb out of strong Dagenham nucs the other day and drained half a pound of dark honey; tasted dark as well - rich and toffee with a hint of Fisherman's Friend. Any idea what produced it? Seen the same in several sites.

View attachment 31170
Get the microscope out and have a look?

Blackthorn is coming into flower properly here now, just about, as is our damson, and there are a few signs of flowers on the plums. Hawthorn doesn't look like it will be too far behind either. I noticed today that the flower buds are fattening up.

What really has surprised me though is that having seen no sign of it other than one field closer to Taunton, even as recently as the weekend, suddenly there are fields of OSR breaking into flower all over the place. Some of them I drive past five times a week, so I'm sure I'd have noticed if they'd been flowering any earlier.

James
It’s the same here James, lots of fields suddenly bright yellow. I’m in a valley and the rape is always on the tops, so my bees don’t usually find it. There is much more of it this year. Makes sense to grow bio fuel when everyone is predicting food shortages.....

Somehow Himalayan balsam just doesn't grow in any noticeable amount within reach of my bees. One solitary plant appeared in a drainage dyke adjacent to my land two years ago then nothing last year. I know it grows in abundance on the banks of the Yorkshire Ouse only about five miles away so growing conditions should be about right here. Unlike others I would be happy to see it nearby.🤔
Do you want some seedlings? They’re priced very reasonably, owner collects.

Took wild comb out of strong Dagenham nucs the other day and drained half a pound of dark honey; tasted dark as well - rich and toffee with a hint of Fisherman's Friend. Any idea what produced it? Seen the same in several sites.

View attachment 31170
It sounds like some suspected honeydew honey I had a few years ago. It had hints of burnt caramel with a slightly medical taste.

Latest posts

Back