What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have onions from seed and onion sets ready to go out. Sprouting nicely in small modules.
We have minus 7 forecast tomorrow and I’ve just shut the hens up in a hailstorm.
The only thing I’m planting is myself firmly in front of the wood burner with the Saturday papers and a beer or two.
That'd be the hens that are in/under cover anyway due to bird flu restrictions? ;)

I'm delaying until tomorrow because it's forecast to be down to freezing overnight tonight, but then noticeably warming up for the rest of the week. That said, yesterday they were forecasting 1°C for last night and -1°C tonight, but my weather station says we got down to -2.5°C last night.

Fortunately despite the cold last night, the tomatoes and peppers in my unheated greenhouse appear to be happy.

I don't envy you -7°C though.

James

Of course we assumed you had totally enclosed chicken runs i.e. with a netting top. 😁

I do, though it's been looking a bit sorry for itself since Storm Eunice. It always used to be used to protect chicks that had been moved outside from other birds that might view them as a tasty meal. It will have to be rebuilt this summer :(

James

Hmmm. How early can it be persuaded to flower, say from a late summer sowing? I could perhaps use it as a cover crop for my empty veggie beds, but I'd probably want to be removing it about now to make way for summer crops. For example, I plan to plant out my onions tomorrow.

James

Quite a bit of comfrey growing near the sheep. Have permission to grab a bit if anyone desperately wants me to post it (you can cover the postage).
I've just planted some, if they fail I would appreciate being sent some. Thank you

That'd be the hens that are in/under cover anyway due to bird flu restrictions
for the backyard poultry keeper, as long as you take reasonable steps to ensure your hens can't mix with wild birds (ie, totally enclosed run with small enough mesh - I've just covered the whole run with fruit netting) it's fine

Hmmm. How early can it be persuaded to flower, say from a late summer sowing? I could perhaps use it as a cover crop for my empty veggie beds, but I'd probably want to be removing it about now to make way for summer crops. For example, I plan to plant out my onions tomorrow.

James
Hello James
try grow a bit someplace and get to know the plant. The seeds are cheap. It is same family as borage but it covers the soil more. You can spring or autumn sow. .
Goodluck happy growing

End of March is the end of local government budget. If they have money left over they have to spend it or they won't get next year. When I ran a company doing council work our busiest time was March.
Yes, that used to happen to us regularly every year ... Local Authorities gettng rid of the surplus just to make sure the budget was not cut the following year ... there were occasions when I told clients 'this does not need to be done' and the answer was usually just a shrug. It used to leave me feeling like an accomplice to a fraud at times. I'm appalled to think it may still be happening and it stinks of mis-management of public funds. I didn't mind so much when it was a job that needed doing and they found the money was available to get it done as the financial year was coming to an end but just doing something to spend money .... not good.

Been out for a walk round the village with the missus this afternoon. Loads of comfrey in bloom..... pity it's too cold for the bees.
Wow ... my comfrey is only just breaking through ,,, there's some in a very sheltered spot next to a local car park where we walk the dog that is in leaf but there's no sign of flower stalks yet. Sunny Surrey ?

I’ve never had so much of it as this year - more celandine than grass in the “lawn”
Yes there are zillions on the road verge just the other side of my garden fence - just a blanket of yellow - never seen do many. Wierd .. I wonder why - the very mild winter and the warm spell for the last couole of weeks gave them the impetus to get going before other plants take over ? My cherry tree is just starting to flower - two weeks earlier than last year. Makes little sense except for climate change.

Yes there are zillions on the road verge just the other side of my garden fence - just a blanket of yellow - never seen do many. Wierd .. I wonder why - the very mild winter and the warm spell for the last couole of weeks gave them the impetus to get going before other plants take over ? My cherry tree is just starting to flower - two weeks earlier than last year. Makes little sense except for climate change.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-...ther-and-climate/2022/end-of-march-statistics

My comfrey is only just peeping through. 900ft up on the Staffordshire Moorlands
Wow ... my comfrey is only just breaking through ,,, there's some in a very sheltered spot next to a local car park where we walk the dog that is in leaf but there's no sign of flower stalks yet. Sunny Surrey ?

Not climate change, just a different weather pattern. It was minus 3c here last night and minus 7c for Dani

Back