What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have Lesser Celandine in flower in the Tamar Valley.... what is trolling for a response in that?

Bees seem to be foraging from them early this sunny morning... but I wonder if they were taking dew from them?

Yeghes da

It matters, not a jot as its all there for everyone to see
S

Pollen in

I wondered why the girls were all somewhat frenetic this morning. It did not take long to discover why.

Attachments

• Frenetic 19 Mar 19.jpg
    Frenetic 19 Mar 19.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Catkin 19 Mar 19.jpg
    Catkin 19 Mar 19.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 54
I wondered why the girls were all somewhat frenetic this morning. It did not take long to discover why.

Healthy looking bees.... you should put that one of the bee on the willow in for the National Bee Supplies picture competition :winner1st:

Chons da

I have several different varieties of this. They love it. (Skimmia japonica)
E

I went to a garden centre yesterday which had 4 potted plants of this covered in bees just outside the entrance. I got talking to one of the workers there who said it was originally just inside the automatic doors of the shop but the bees were coming in and getting stuck so they had to put it outside as the till workers were worried about getting stung.
Much like I almost was when the missus suggested I get one...... it was marked up at £79.99!!!!

That sounds a ridiculous price for a Skimmea, unless they are large, well established plants. You should be able to find smaller ones for around a tenner and these will have bees on them as well. They soon grow and don't be worried if the leaves look a bit pale and unhealthy at times, they see to bounce back and always provide a source of forage for the bees. Look closely and you will notice some tiny solitary bees on it as well.

Enrico,
Thanks for sharing that Tulip type, can't say I've ever spotted these before but I will definitely be getting some. I love the simple forms and this one is a beaut.

Crinodendron in bud...... can't wait to hear the amplified buzz of a worker getting nectar and pollen from inside the flower!

No idea how it is spelled!

Willow pollen coming home

Attachments

• 20190319_210635.jpg
    20190319_210635.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 33
That sounds a ridiculous price for a Skimmea, unless they are large, well established plants. You should be able to find smaller ones for around a tenner and these will have bees on them as well. They soon grow and don't be worried if the leaves look a bit pale and unhealthy at times, they see to bounce back and always provide a source of forage for the bees. Look closely and you will notice some tiny solitary bees on it as well.

Enrico,
Thanks for sharing that Tulip type, can't say I've ever spotted these before but I will definitely be getting some. I love the simple forms and this one is a beaut.

No problem Swarm, we have two varieties, the white and a yellow. The latter is larger. They are multi headed and are the best bulb we have bought for a long time. They look amazing in a big swathe across the end of the lawn. The bees go mad for them.
E

Fab photos and info here.

Though looking at them, it does seem I’m in a different continent. I’ll have to think hard and scratch my head as to when was the last time I saw the girls out in numbers...

Enjoy looking at your pics nonetheless 👏

Fab photos and info here.

Though looking at them, it does seem I’m in a different continent. I’ll have to think hard and scratch my head as to when was the last time I saw the girls out in numbers...

Enjoy looking at your pics nonetheless 👏

Huge differences isn't there. In Shropshire I never used to see my bees for four months, here in Somerset barely a week goes by without some action!
E

Dandie lions and oilseed in flower

I went to a garden centre yesterday which had 4 potted plants of this covered in bees just outside the entrance. I got talking to one of the workers there who said it was originally just inside the automatic doors of the shop but the bees were coming in and getting stuck so they had to put it outside as the till workers were worried about getting stung.
Much like I almost was when the missus suggested I get one...... it was marked up at £79.99!!!!

I grew mine from cuttings taken from a neighbour's bush (with permission). In true Scottish tradition, cost nil.

Usual cutting method.

The osr on the farm..
24d24e52d7e20bbdfa0d4210a94c5378.jpg
4407178a3b6bae5b24c174fd8e15a0a2.jpg
85ace9c80eaf755a79223271dd4d9086.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back