What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of things in flower in Northumberland but it was -2C lastnight and the ground was white this morning...it's far too cold to be of any use to the bees.

Frosty here also but by 12 am it was 12c and bee's really busy there humming again this evening .

Osr this morning frosty -1 at 7am....
I'm having a look at the farm apiary today if the weather allows , it might just be a quick peak at the honey super situation. Picture two you can see the south Shropshire hill and home, in the back ground.
Picture four is one of the garden hives at home last week when we had 8 inches of snow .
fd63e2b313de942474077e8aef607024.jpg
55b1eef43e2fbbb72b5abd9ad804ac28.jpg
f3a42c82c9713859ed195864385ef25a.jpg
8509aedfe5b4130b4d25a98657e7debf.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

Re LaL 500, I have had a quick look under the crown board, just not done any dismantling.
If that East wind eases off, maybe this afternoon.

Lots of things in flower in Northumberland but it was -2C lastnight and the ground was white this morning...it's far too cold to be of any use to the bees.

-1c overnight and now 11C.. plum, damson and magnolia splendid in our garden: lots of dandelions outside it, blackthorn and who knows what..

Bees bringing in nectar.. supers on all hives, I suspect one will require a second super judging by bee numbers..7 full frames of capped brood.. approx 45,000 bees in that (if 100% full, but they are not - approx 75% full so 30,000 bees)

Plenty of blackthorn still in bloom here but even on warm days not a honey bee to be seen thereon. I'm doubtful that blackthorn yields pollen or nectar.
Flowering cherries in gardens very popular. Willow well over.
OSR in full bloom but is it true (that I read somewhere) that it does not yield much below 18C?

OSR in full bloom but is it true (that I read somewhere) that it does not yield much below 18C?

I have followed the yield from osr in 18C. First, if top temp is 18C, that temp is only couple of hours during a day. When nicht is cold, it takes very long that the day warms up.

Then if it is some wind, bees cannot work in flowers. They return with empty belly to home.

Plenty of blackthorn still in bloom here but even on warm days not a honey bee to be seen thereon. I'm doubtful that blackthorn yields pollen or nectar.
Flowering cherries in gardens very popular. Willow well over.

Just visited my bees. Plenty of blackthorn on the way there and it was buzzing, not as much as the ivy does though. Plenty of OSR nearby so that might be their first choice.

Well storm Hannah has burned the trees, the hawthorn, sycamore and horse chestnut all have black leaves in my garden. I even have some brambles which have been burned!

Thankfully not all the trees have put on leaves yet but a real shame as the sycamore were full of bees and other insects last week.

Hannah missed the Northern fringes of Yorkshire and the Horse Chestnut is just out.

Red pollen seen on bees when inspecting today.

Blackthorn over but the hawthorn is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Day two of Hawthorne lots of bee's dusted in yellow also and green pollen . Max temp was 15c but still again the hives are humming this evening and I can smell the punchent smell of Hawthorne coming from the hives .
On Friday I'm putting clearer boards on 6 hives and will be removing some osr honey over the weekend.As well as going through all hives and then of for our first meet at the association apiaries for 230pm .
I'm looking forward to getting some hands on experience with queen rearing .
H.B.K.F..

Osr still out 0.2miles away and coming in, it is starting to lose its colour. Hawthorn only just breaking through so hoping to get the osr off soon and start on the real stuff...

Well I am to the North so... it's a bit different.

OSR is just fully out.

Gene is looking stunning and the single blossom trees are humming with bees, the fancy double blossom ones are silent. Interesting eh?

Sycamore is just in flower and horse chestnut will be in full flower towards the end of next week.

Lovely day today and hives humming happily this evening.

Aint beekeeping a pure joy?

PH

Well I am to the North so... it's a bit different.

OSR is just fully out.

Gene is looking stunning and the single blossom trees are humming with bees, the fancy double blossom ones are silent. Interesting eh?

Sycamore is just in flower and horse chestnut will be in full flower towards the end of next week.

Lovely day today and hives humming happily this evening.

Aint beekeeping a pure joy?

PH
I've noticed that about the cherry trees also .
Looks like it's to cold on the weekend for full inspections I need to get the iky stuff of though otherwise I'll be building wall's with it .

Latest posts

Back