What tree is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antipodes

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Can anyone help identify this tree please? It has large pinkish/white flowers in spring/summer and now in winter is covered in seed pods. Very attractive to bees.

It is not a native tree here in Tasmania.

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_113717356.jpg
    IMG_20190719_113717356.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20190719_113704707.jpg
    IMG_20190719_113704707.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 67
I took a photo of your photo and put it into Google lense which is brilliant for identifying things. It just referred me to your post on this site so....... A long winded way of saying no idea yet but I will persevere! Are those the fruit.... Nuts... Or flowers?
E

Thanks Enrico....that's funny.

The tree flowered probably six months ago and so now those pods are what has formed after flowering.

I picked one of the pods up today from the ground and opened it. It was dry and soft revealing some seeds inside, but a fair bit of empty space too.

I don't think it's either of those. Hopefully it is not too obscure.

You hardly have any photos of it in flower? Might get better search results.

Hi AngryM, I've had a really good look and no, I have no photos whatsoever of it in flower unfortunately. It will not flower now until late spring/early summer (from memory).

Here is another photo from today ...hopefully clearer. This specimen is a large tree, 12-15m in height.

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 56
Anduril...thanks for having a go, but I don't think it is. The seed pod has no flesh inside and is mostly empty/dry. Enrico..thanks...I don't think a magnolia...seed pod is too different.

I have seen two of these trees in suburbia here, including this one, so I'm assuming it is not ridiculously rare, probably planted for the magnificent, large and long lasting show of flowers.....but it is definitely a tricky one to identify!

That's it. Well done Anduril!!

No more exploring of the seed pods from reading that!

Latest posts

Back