To be Cotonoeaster or not to be Cotoneaster

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A couple of years ago I saved some cotoneaster seeds from a tree in my local arboretum. I set the seeds and they grew. The original tree is more of a tree than many short stubby cotoneasters you find so I was quite pleased. It also has a bright red berry (source of seeds)
I have noticed the new tree is starting to bud, but surprisingly there are what look like pussy willow buds. This leads me to think that the tree I have been nurturing for 2 years may not be what I was expecting. The new tree has lost all its leaves over the winter.
Can anyone confirm or otherwise that this is a cotoneaster?

Attachments

• C43A43E6-3C37-4E16-8A4E-D0DB22BCF668.jpeg
    C43A43E6-3C37-4E16-8A4E-D0DB22BCF668.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Yep... willow for sure!
My Cotonoeaster is full of leaf and berrys at the moment

It is a girl willow. It will not make pollen.

Willow is too big tree to keep in the garden. Open space is more valuable.

IF WANTED
Screenshot_20220401-214507_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. I think your answers are fairly conclusive. I will try and get more berries in the autumn and try again.

Thanks all. I think your answers are fairly conclusive. I will try and get more berries in the autumn and try again.
Should be a few seedlings around big bushes.

You could always cut the willow back to a stump when it’s a bit bigger and keep it as a withy for the canes - always useful, decorative, and will maximise the flower for the bees!

Nearly always some cotoneaster seedlings around where there are mature bushes. Probably a better bet than trying to grow your own from seed.

Willow.
One of our two with a 4 meter high trunk nearly 1metre in diameter fell in winter storms. Cuttings taken.
Cotoneaster is far slower to flower.. more like late May

Latest posts

Back