Colony in felled tree.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian48

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi

I work for a large tree surgery firm,
And this morning a couple of lads were felling a large rotten Ash tree on the edge of a field.
What they didn’t realise as the tree hit the ground, half way up inside was a large colony of bees!
I think they all got stung a few times before making a hasty retreat!

They called me and I went to have look. The trunk has split vertically due to rot, so they are in and out of the split, plus there are several holes.

So, in the morning the plan is to take the weight of the trunk with a Telehandler while I cut both ends and remove the entire colony in situ and place it on the ground and try to open it up and save them?

It would be nice to leave them where they are and let them carry on doing what they are doing, but it’s not an option, they will need to be removed
Otherwise they will probably be destroyed.

I’ve collected some strangely located swarms in the past (chimney pots, balcony railings etc) but never really had to get them out of a unknown space?

I will take a hive with foundation/ comb, I know ultimately I would need to find the queen and remove her but Anything else that I could use or do in this situation?

any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope to get some photos along the way to share with you.

Many thanks
Ian

Hi

And this morning a couple of lads were felling a large rotten Ash tree on the edge of a field.
What they didn’t realise as the tree hit the ground, half way up inside was a large colony of bees!

They called me and I went to have look. The trunk has split vertically due to rot, so they are in and out of the split, plus there are several holes.

main the morning the plan is to take the weight of the trunk with a Telehandler while I cut both ends and remove the entire colony in situ and place it on the ground and try to open it up and save them?

It would be nice to leave them where they are and let them carry on doing what they are doing, but it’s not an option, they will need to be removed

I’ve collected some strangely located swarms in the past (chimney pots, balcony railings etc) but never really had to get them out of a unknown space?

I will take a hive with foundation/ comb, I know ultimately I would need to find the queen and remove her but Anything else that I could use or do in this situation?

any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope to get some photos along the way to share with you.

Many thanks
Ian
there is in fact a video somewhere on the net of a colony cut out of a felled tree, similar to what you have, as for kit, they basically cut a square piece of the trunk out of where the colony was, got the comb out (with queen) and put it in the new hive which was sat on the tree trunk, then they just sat and watched the bees march in after the queen.
I think you have it sorted kit wise, maybe a bucket for the combs of honey you find?
you need empty frames not foundation. cut out the brood combs from the cavity and fix it in the frames with rubber bands and place it in the new hive.

That’s great, thanks for posting that.
Hopefully it won’t be on that scale, but you just never know?

I'm at present milking bees out of a felled tree and we are going to cut it open in a few weeks when there are fewer bees in there.

Brilliant, what was your procedure?

I’m planning on going straight in, as it needs to be removed quite quickly.

I would love to have the option of taking my time with them but it’s just not possible.

I can't offer any advice here but I'm really interested in hearing the results. Good luck!

Whereabouts in berks are you.

Just south of Newbury.
Ok I’m ascot way so not close…depending on the wood some logs will split, in the past I’ve taken a guess on wood thickness and cut the trunk on top to bottom allowing access to combs. Bees often get driven out by this but will cluster up around the queen. In an ideal world I’d find a spot for the trunk and leave them to it!!!

Last edited:
Brilliant, what was your procedure?

I’m planning on going straight in, as it needs to be removed quite quickly.

I would love to have the option of taking my time with them but it’s just not possible.

I placed a piece of ply over the end of the log with a mesh cone in it and put a box with a brood come in it. The milked bees are producing a queen and are very calm.
PHOTO-2022-06-18-08-31-45.jpgPHOTO-2022-06-18-08-29-59.jpg

That looks a great set up, an obviously doing the job, well done

Is removing the log with colony in it (cut to minimum size) an option?

that’s the idea, if I can cut the trunk to about. 6 - 8 ft in length then lower it to the ground with a Telehandler.

i couldn’t get that close to see exactly what was what earlier?
Once I’m suited and booted I’ll know a bit more about how to go about it.

First cut the trunk down to a managable size (which will depend on the bext stage). Smoke the bees at dusk, load the lot onto a trailer in the dark, blanket over and drive and unload (and right) someplace they can live. As soon as poss repair to a small entrance - obviously cover immediately if rain threatens an open top.
Job done. They don't like leaving the nest in the dark.

Hi

So, in the morning the plan is to take the weight of the trunk with a Telehandler while I cut both ends and remove the entire colony in situ and place it on the ground and try to open it up and save them?

Many thanks
Ian
done it loads of times. You need chain saw, ideally steel or plastic splitters/wedges, empty frames, elastic bands, board, knife

first you need to try and work out what direction the comb is in. ideally you want to cut in line i.e. not at 90 degrees to the comb. This way as you go through if you hit a comb you are likely to damage only one piece of comb, if you are at 90% the you could damage several.
Next open up and when you start lifting comb out make sure you remember what was the top, place on board. Pre set your frames up with two elastic bands horizontal and three or even four vertical, move the bands to the top and bottom/sides of the frame.

Place frame over comb and cut to size fill gaps in with odd pieces making sure upright is already in the right direction.

Move elastic bands along to hold in place and move to next frame. Prioritize of course is brood, eggs and stores over empty comb.

You need the splitters as ideally you only just go through and use the splitter and mallet to do the final seperation so least comb damage.

Latest posts

Back