Colony in felled tree.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everyone’s help!

Luckily I managed to split the trunk open,
That made life a lot easier.

It’s been a few hours, I think I’m done,
I honestly couldn’t say if I had the queen?
They are all congregating at the entrance, I cut out half a dozen frames.
The damage that had been done inside when the tree hit the ground was sad sight to see.

I’ll give them a while to settle then pick them up tomorrow night, have a look through them and most probably need to re queen them?

Interesting morning….

Checked them after work and it looked like they needed more space, they had filled the brood box and there was a large cluster on the outside, they were only in a box I made for picking up swarms, it’s the same size as a national brood box but had a fixed bottom with a small entrance.

Just been over and given them another brood box with frames, and open mesh floor and gave them a good feed.

They all went in after 20 mins,
Still not sure about the queen?
I’ll have a good look for her over the weekend.

Was there plenty of fanning going on at the entrance? It sounds successful and what a lovely colony, great photos.

There was a little bit going on, but not as much as I would have like to have seen?
There were still a lot of angry flying bees last night, I had to walk across the other side of the field before they stopped coming for me.

I’ll go and have a look at the hive at lunchtime to see how they are behaving?
If it looks good I’ll pick them up late tonight and take them home.

I think it might be wise to re queen the colony, just so I know it’s got this years queen, and it should be set up for the coming months?
Would that be a wise move?

Well done!
Makes you reconsider the often stated “feral colonies don’t thrive”
As Swarm says, that looks like an excellent bunch of bees.

Thanks, I must say it’s been a great experience to carry this out.

It also goes to show how bees don’t need any real input from us humans,
Poking and prodding them every week!

I would love to know how long they had been in the tree for?

Sadly a lot of their brood and stores wasn’t able to be saved, it was very badly damaged with the fall.

I’m sure they’ll be up and running again soon!

It also goes to show how bees don’t need any real input from us humans,
Poking and prodding them every week!
Until, a few years down the line, they die
I would love to know how long they had been in the tree for?
I've observed a few of these colonies over the years, and spoken to others who have done the same, they usually last four to five years

Well done!
Makes you reconsider the often stated “feral colonies don’t thrive”
As Swarm says, that looks like an excellent bunch of bees.
Mine are in their third year and threw a swarm yesterday.
I shall do an accelerated drop in a few days.

Well done. I'd be tempted not to requeen untless I had to. The queen may be in there, and if not they'll probably be able to raise another that keeps the qualities that has enabled her to thrive unaided.

they'll probably be able to raise another that keeps the qualities that has enabled her to thrive unaided.
how do you know they have these magical qualities? could have just landed in the abandoned tree hollow this season or maybe last, and could just as easily die out next winter if just left to their own devices.

Last edited:
I picked up the hive late last night, it all went well and they are now in my garden.
I had a look through them first thing this morning, a can confirm that they were Q less, so I have introduced a mated Buckfast queen.
They had started to produce some Q cell's but thought it would be in everyone’s interest to have a known Queen.

I picked up the hive late last night, it all went well and they are now in my garden.
I had a look through them first thing this morning, a can confirm that they were Q less, so I have introduced a mated Buckfast queen.
They had started to produce some Q cell's but thought it would be in everyone’s interest to have a known Queen.
Often happens with removals!! I think it’s the gaining access part, queen scarpers off to some corner during the disturbance and that’s it. If it’s local I’ve done the hard part covered up and returned the next day.

Well done. I'd be tempted not to requeen untless I had to. The queen may be in there, and if not they'll probably be able to raise another that keeps the qualities that has enabled her to thrive unaided.
@Beesnaturally, haven't you got the message by now? It's completely impossible for honey bees to survive in "the wild". 😉

Until, a few years down the line, they die

I've observed a few of these colonies over the years, and spoken to others who have done the same, they usually last four to five years
Longer than your average, eternally requeened colony then. 😉

I wouldn't know, never having followed that system.
Do you know anyone who does?
I don't know what you're calling a "system", but who doesn't know someone who has at some time, requeened a hive, and therefore broken the cycle of natural regeneration in that colony?
I do know someone who requeens all of their hives every year.

So, an update.
I had a call yesterday to say there was still a diner plate size group of bees on the tree trunk.

I went over first thing and found them under the trunk, managed to get them in a Nuc strapped to the tree.

I’ll have to go over again later tonight to collect them.

Attachments

• EF91E64C-C8AC-4B5B-9223-3504767E79E9.jpeg
    EF91E64C-C8AC-4B5B-9223-3504767E79E9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back