What to do with supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
I had a bit of an issue with a hive where we thought we would lose it. Thankfully though, with a few frames from a nuc I bought I was able to recover. Everyday is a school day and I made some mistakes but I am back on track.
PXL_20221026_115941218.MP.jpg

During this period I removed the supers a couple of.months ago and just remembered I didn't sort them out.

PXL_20221029_133753304.jpg

What is the best course of action. Do I spin them to get the honey?

Cut my losses and replace the wax next spring?

Thanks
Nbw

Hi all
I had a bit of an issue with a hive where we thought we would lose it. Thankfully though, with a few frames from a nuc I bought I was able to recover. Everyday is a school day and I made some mistakes but I am back on track.
View attachment 34266

During this period I removed the supers a couple of.months ago and just remembered I didn't sort them out.

View attachment 34265

Thanks
Nbw
Ouch, don't destroy the comb, it's valuable stuff! I guess the capped honey may be crystallised esp if oilseed rape. If still liquid it's scarcely worth getting your extractor mucky for the sake of 2-3 lbs of honey, surely. You could scarify the capped comb and return it to the hive now or in the spring so that the bees can clean it out.

Thanks for the reply.
Does it matter which hive the frames came from?
What would you do @Amari ?

Where you mean scarify, do you mean take the wax top off and return to the hive?

Thanks for the reply.
Does it matter which hive the frames came from?
What would you do @Amari ?

Where you mean scarify, do you mean take the wax top off and return to the hive?
When I extract I am left with scores of 'wet' extracted combs which are returned to the supers. I then return the supers to the hives for the bees to clean and make no attempt to return them to the hive of origin. Some folk do - in the hope of reducing transmission of disease.
I would look in the super of your wooden hive and if there are frames with empty comb then remove them and replace with your scarified/bruised/scratched frames (no need to formally uncap).
If all the comb in the super has stores (honey or syrup you have fed) then keep those combs and insert in the spring.

Hi all
View attachment 34266

View attachment 34265

Thanks
Nbw
Uncap a few cells here and there and if not crystallised spin off.
Put the frames back wet into the super and make sure it’s sealed off top and bottom with a crownboard and strapped up.
If crystallised give back to the bees in spring after uncapping the frames and giving them a quick spray with water

Latest posts

Back