Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

andyroberts07 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I am cleaning some old equipment at the moment, floors, crown boards, and frames,

what is best done with the wax scrapped off, and the old wax in the frames.
AR

darrenperrett 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Save it all up in a bucket untill you`ve got enough to melt down then stick it in a solar wax melter.
I personally am not going to bother melting down old black brood frames again as they make a hell of a mess for not a lot of wax.

Darren.

andyroberts07 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
cheers Darren, i was thinking that, does the wax have to be in a good condition?

darrenperrett 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I stuff all my old bits into an old pair of tights and then stick them in my old tea urn with a brick on top. Turn it on for half an hour then leave untill the morning and you end up with a reasonably clean disc of wax which you can remelt and filter through muslin etc if you want to make candles.

I bet nobody comes round for a cup of tea anymore .:puke:

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I stuff all my old bits into an old pair of tights and then stick them in my old tea urn with a brick on top. Turn it on for half an hour then leave untill the morning and you end up with a reasonably clean disc of wax which you can remelt and filter through muslin etc if you want to make candles.

I bet nobody comes round for a cup of tea anymore .:puke:
does the wife uses the tights again for a bikini and leg wax,?

wilderness 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
a bio-security reminder ...

NEVER leave any wax or propolis scrapings laying around in the apiary, take it home and either reuse or bin it.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The used tights would sell for a fortune on Ebay..

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I break up all old wax frames filled with unusable crystallised honey (except black stuff) into pan with 2" water. Gently melt but dont allow to boil (makes a hell of a mess) Strain through old stocking that is inside small piece of drainpipe. When cold, drain off water/syrup, and sell wax to supplier of foundation.

Got about 4lb this year so saved myself some money - dont ask about the drawer full of boiled over syrupy wax inside cupboard, drawer and floor!!!

Be aware that any equipment used for this is NEVER usable again for ANY other purpose!!