What to do with old wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyroberts07

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I am cleaning some old equipment at the moment, floors, crown boards, and frames,

what is best done with the wax scrapped off, and the old wax in the frames.
AR

Save it all up in a bucket untill you`ve got enough to melt down then stick it in a solar wax melter.
I personally am not going to bother melting down old black brood frames again as they make a hell of a mess for not a lot of wax.

Darren.

cheers Darren, i was thinking that, does the wax have to be in a good condition?

I stuff all my old bits into an old pair of tights and then stick them in my old tea urn with a brick on top. Turn it on for half an hour then leave untill the morning and you end up with a reasonably clean disc of wax which you can remelt and filter through muslin etc if you want to make candles.

I bet nobody comes round for a cup of tea anymore .:puke:

I stuff all my old bits into an old pair of tights and then stick them in my old tea urn with a brick on top. Turn it on for half an hour then leave untill the morning and you end up with a reasonably clean disc of wax which you can remelt and filter through muslin etc if you want to make candles.

I bet nobody comes round for a cup of tea anymore .:puke:

does the wife uses the tights again for a bikini and leg wax,?

a bio-security reminder ...

NEVER leave any wax or propolis scrapings laying around in the apiary, take it home and either reuse or bin it.

I break up all old wax frames filled with unusable crystallised honey (except black stuff) into pan with 2" water. Gently melt but dont allow to boil (makes a hell of a mess) Strain through old stocking that is inside small piece of drainpipe. When cold, drain off water/syrup, and sell wax to supplier of foundation.

Got about 4lb this year so saved myself some money - dont ask about the drawer full of boiled over syrupy wax inside cupboard, drawer and floor!!!

Be aware that any equipment used for this is NEVER usable again for ANY other purpose!!

Latest posts

Back