What manipulations are you planning to try as a beginner.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts exactly the third box would go directly above the lbb.
It happens even if you Demaree a 14x12. If you have empty supers on top you don’t need another brood. You don’t have a laying queen up top. All the brood comes from the bottom.

i had 3 supers in middle and two above UBB on 3 of them

the phrase 'you have plenty of bees and supers filling fast, what are you worried about' is probably appropriate

it was just the swarm preps i wanted to understand....queens not especially flighty either

but, 3rd bb was suggested last year.....

interesting

i had 3 supers in middle and two above UBB on 3 of them

the phrase 'you have plenty of bees and supers filling fast, what are you worried about' is probably appropriate

it was just the swarm preps i wanted to understand....queens not especially flighty either

but, 3rd bb was suggested last year.....

interesting
The other thing is to choose your Demaree colonies carefully. A young queen is paramount.
@jenkinsbrynmair I have toyed with letting one queen come on in the top box then removing her mother. What do you think? …. Rather than running a two queen hive I mean.

I am hoping to perfect one of , if not the most difficult manipulations in beekeeping, the acquisition of new kit without arousing suspicion !
The actual basic process is quite straightforward really. Have a look at BMH Demaree video . Much of the above discussion is to do with a "rolling" demaree which is one variation of the basic manipulation.

The other thing is to choose your Demaree colonies carefully. A young queen is paramount.
@jenkinsbrynmair I have toyed with letting one queen come on in the top box then removing her mother. What do you think? …. Rather than running a two queen hive I mean.

yes....i chose colonies with a queen mated in previous summer and JBM was also clear this was necessary and an older queen may not work so well

the vigour of building up was the key identifier in colonies i chose though and will be again

Don't see why not, done it once or twice with no issues.
.i chose colonies with a queen mated in previous summer and JBM was also clear this was necessary and an older queen may not work so well
It depends what you want, I try and leave the queens until their second year before Demarree if It's part of a plan for making increase/nucs, this is also the time most people tell you they are most likely to swarm, only Demarreeing queens in their first full season if I think they may swarm.
Colonies with older queens tend to supersede at the end of the season they're Demarree'd.

The actual basic process is quite straightforward really. Have a look at BMH Demaree video . Much of the above discussion is to do with a "rolling" demaree which is one variation of the basic manipulation.

interesting he places a box of foundation at the bottom a bit like a pagden and places a double brood up top...all looks a bit wobbly

Yes he talked about the box sizes he uses and added a word of caution as well - he also pointed out that he was interested in maximising honey production.

Most of the literature I’ve seen on Demaree refers to putting two supers between the LBB and the UBB. Why is that? I would have thought that if you want the Queen's pheromones to percolate the UBB in order to suppress the building of QCs there then you’d want the minimum gap, say one super. Can anyone advise me?

Most of the literature I’ve seen on Demaree refers to putting two supers between the LBB and the UBB. Why is that? I would have thought that if you want the Queen's pheromones to percolate the UBB in order to suppress the building of QCs there then you’d want the minimum gap, say one super. Can anyone advise me?
But you don’t want to suppress QCs
You either harvest the cells or remove them.

Never seen a minimum of two shallows recommended.
The reason for the shallows is a simple one. The foremost principle of the manipulation is to separate the queen from all, or almost all of the brood, the shallows in between act as a buffer, otherwise the bees would still consider the two deeps (one with brood, one without) as just one entity.

I would have thought that if you want the Queen's pheromones to percolate the UBB in order to suppress the building of QCs
Not really, QC building is just a side effect of the manipulation, you can either take them down or use them in other manipulations, you never get many anyway as, due to the fact the nurse bees are still getting some pheromone, they are making supersedure cells rather than emergency or swarm QC's

This thread describing dozens of permutations of the Demarree surely demonstrates the quintessential joy of beekeeping as a hobby. Surely better than knitting or train spotting......?

....train spotting used to be good...when we had real trains; this used to be one of my favourite spots. (Not my image....I'm slightly too young to have had a camera in those days.) ;)

St Walburghes steam train.jpg

Not really, QC building is just a side effect of the manipulation, you can either take them down or use them in other manipulations, you never get many anyway as, due to the fact the nurse bees are still getting some pheromone, they are making supersedure cells rather than emergency or swarm QC's
As you were saying about the pheromones, not all demaree colonys produce qcs if the pheromones are strong, out of mine only two produced cells.

As you were saying about the pheromones, not all demaree colonys produce qcs if the pheromones are strong, out of mine only two produced cells.

and the thinking is that these are better quality QCs for those wanting increase as they are closer to supercedure than emergency....seems logical

and the thinking is that these are better quality QCs for those wanting increase as they are closer to supercedure than emergency....seems logical
Yes selected cells that haven't been rushed to be produced are always going to be better, I completely agree.

Back