What do you smoke ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Someone mentioned smoking hives on another thread, and I wondered what you guys and gals favour.
Mostly I used rolled up cardboard (thin boxes liberated from the supermarket) and set them on fire with the help of a squirt of lighter fuel.
I tried what I would term as smoke in a can that I hated, thought the bees hated it too.
I also had a go with pellets but soon came back to the cardboard rolls with the odd bit of grass added in now and again if the mood took me.

What's your poison ?

Oak bark, lasts for ages and is fairly consistent burning

I use wood shavings, light with a roiled up bit of unused toilet paper. Never found any problems so stuck with it.
Sharon

Last edited:
I use wood shavings that are sold by a company down here for use with horses, it has eucalyptus oil in it. the only reason I use it is because I have spare unused from my rabbits. It seems to work really well.

Rotten dried wood....not pine.... for me.
When I had SBI round to look at the colonies he helped himself to some dry grass from where the field had been cut a week previous. The bees seemed OK with that :)

I start it with egg cartons then add cat litter . Natural pine ,no added anything , lasts for yonks all day if you don't use the bellows. Only draw back being it creates a lot of tar!
VM

Well I could imagine all manner of replies ;)
For the smoker I use pieces broken off a large lump of dead wood that I broke from a fallen tree. I start the smoker with egg boxes, which are less acrid and less tar build up than packing cardboard. I stuff the top with some hessian.

I used to smoke golden Virginia until I gave up 4 weeks ago :sifone:

I use well rotted wood that crumbles in your hand, free to anyone living near a woods
And I have been using eucalyptus bark to light it... Why because it was free and makes a good fire starter when dry nothing else

I tried oil absorbent that was made from coconut husks but after the 20th attempt to light it I found out there was a fire retardant added to it :hairpull:

Dried grass and cones from alder trees. Free and pleasant to collect. Have even used the dried leaves which fall from my house plants. (spider plants and Yucca)

The semi-shredded card used for packaging is easy to get for free - just need to watch for plastic tape.
An issue no-one has mentioned is the small particles of carbon that are blown out when you use the bellows. I like the card because it smokes a lot and can just be drifted in with little use of the bellows.
Ray

Sun dried Donkey Doo Doos.....
Freshly plucked lavender fronds....
Alfalfa, pomegranate seeds and air dried thyme and rosemary bark.
All stored in an airtight container...

a gentle light aromatic smoke that keeps going for ages.

T'ornes finest cardboard packaging, and hessian...I don't smoke the bees unless necessary though.

Dried grass and dried rotten wood, smoker started with lit newspaper.

Don't like using cardboard, seems to burn too hot and quick, once it is finally alight!

Latest posts

Back