What do you smoke ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dried horse muck. This is from the stables.

I know folk have a bit of an issue with this, but horse muck is essentially compressed grass (or whatever they have eaten) easy to light, using a compressed cardboard barbecue lighter block from well known supermarkets, who, towards the end of summer sell the packets at 2 for a pound and then let the smoke do the rest.

It sometimes helps if it isn't too dry, otherwise the smoke can be a little warm, but generally it produces a non acrid cool dense smoke. I often find that they can be easily revived long after you think it should have gone out!

I use compressed woodshavings from my local farming suppliers, sold as horse bedding. It's cheap and easy to get and doesn't need searching around for or drying. It does tar up the smoker slightly, but who cares it's a smoker.

They are difficult to light at first, but I always put out my smoker by stopping the top with a cork and allowing it to go out on its own. The slightly tarry, dried woodshavings left in the smoker are really easy to light, then I just pack more wood shavings on top.

The thick layer of woodshavings at the top (I use an extra large smoker) helps keep the smoke nice and cool and ensures there is some left in the smoker for next time.

Latest posts

Back