What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can now die happy: I have made a dovetail joint! All hand sawn so not neat or tidy but strong and fit for purpose, also made a trug out of pallets. I think I am becoming obsessed with woodwork tho 😳
your next task is to make a secret dovetail or a drawer dovetail

I can now die happy: I have made a dovetail joint! All hand sawn so not neat or tidy but strong and fit for purpose, also made a trug out of pallets. I think I am becoming obsessed with woodwork tho 😳

That can't be a workshop! I can see stuff! :D

I've just been trying to tidy mine this afternoon, to make room for the lathe where I want it. I filled a large compost bag with all the sawdust piled up behind the chop saw, and most of another with that underneath the bandsaw.

James

That can't be a workshop! I can see stuff! :D

I've just been trying to tidy mine this afternoon, to make room for the lathe where I want it. I filled a large compost bag with all the sawdust piled up behind the chop saw, and most of another with that underneath the bandsaw.

James
Sounds like mine ....

A couple of months back I mentioned that I'd acquired a (metalworking) lathe. I picked it up early in the new year, but thanks to the lack of dry weather I've not had the chance to rearrange the workshop (ie. empty lots of stuff out, then try to pack it in more efficiently) to make space exactly where I wanted it. Today I decided that I'd just have to do the job whilst leaving everything indoors. It was a bit of a nightmare trying not to trip over stuff all the time, but pending reconnecting the motor and bolting the bed down, stuff like that, it is now done.

me10-02.jpg

Depsite being made in the late 70s/early 80s, elf'n'safety have clearly got to it at some point in the past...
me10-03.jpg

James

"Found" in the workshop today whilst shifting stuff around to make more space. (I'm not sure it helps, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful.)

lister-cs5-1-01-rotated.jpg

lister-cs5-1-02-rotated.jpg

It's a Lister CS5/1 diesel engine. I do have the wheel for the other side, but they must weigh about 45kg each and I can barely shift the thing with them installed. Judging by the date on the casting it had its 80th birthday less than three weeks ago.

James

"Found" in the workshop today whilst shifting stuff around to make more space. (I'm not sure it helps, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful.)

It's a Lister CS5/1 diesel engine. I do have the wheel for the other side, but they must weigh about 45kg each and I can barely shift the thing with them installed. Judging by the date on the casting it had its 80th birthday less than three weeks ago.

James
That will last a lifetime ,When engineering was done to last ,and I'm sure it will last for a few more decades under your guardianship .
John.

Had a break yesterday from scorching, filling, replacing and repairing . . . decided to do some painting. Supers are just whatever colour is to hand, but I like to do scenes on the brood boxes. Paint supplies are low, just blue, green, white and orange. Koi!
View attachment 39102
View attachment 39103
That’s very pretty. Real ones would be quite at home in my supers right now.

James
Love a stationary engine James

Placed the order for the hive parts for the staff-student beekeeping project at work and did a short talk on swarming for them.

Had a break yesterday from scorching, filling, replacing and repairing . . . decided to do some painting. Supers are just whatever colour is to hand, but I like to do scenes on the brood boxes. Paint supplies are low, just blue, green, white and orange. Koi!

They're quite fun. What type of paint do you use and how well does it cope with the weather?

James

They're quite fun. What type of paint do you use and how well does it cope with the weather?

James
You're not asking me James, but I've had success with acrylic for the artwork well covered in many coats of varnish.

Latest posts

Back