What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Steve ... do you paint them before putting them to use ?

I like the look of them as they are but I'll probably coat them before they go out.
My main problem now is I've run out of planed 4" x 1" and can't think of an excuse why I need more. I have unplaned stuff but I wanted to keep them all standard.

I like the look of them as they are but I'll probably coat them before they go out.
My main problem now is I've run out of planed 4" x 1" and can't think of an excuse why I need more. I have unplaned stuff but I wanted to keep them all standard.

Yes... planed planks are also quite expensive .. I've just run out of my stash of reclaimed (Skip fodder - from Sheffield) Victorian pine floorboards .. 6" x 1" ... lovely 100+ year old 'proper' pine nothing like the fast grown, kiln dried, garbage you buy today that springs into a U-shape as soon as you undo the banding. There were a few nail holes in the floorboars and a few were a bit rough but a run through the planer- thicknesser sorted them. Down here in the South I rarely see any decent planks in a skip.

Made some new UHE Floors with a redesign to incorporate a little alighting board, I didn't fit the mesh so the pics will be more clear.
In the overhead shot you can see the small area for the mesh and a reduced area below adds some wind protection and acts as a ledge for the varroa board.
From the rear, there is an opening roughly one inch.
20mm x 10mm rim as my hives are TBS.

They look mint! Nice job!!

Started to put my sale day super 3rds that I got together... so far out of 2 packs of 5 i have 8 good ones that have small holes and knots filling, the other 2 when together may need s bit more work. 1 more pack to go....

This brings me to my question, how does everybody fix /fill their supers. I plan on just using good wood filler in the rough bits and in the holes where knots are either loose or fallen out leaving a hole then sand and paint. Any other advice?

Started to put my sale day super 3rds that I got together... so far out of 2 packs of 5 i have 8 good ones that have small holes and knots filling, the other 2 when together may need s bit more work. 1 more pack to go....

This brings me to my question, how does everybody fix /fill their supers. I plan on just using good wood filler in the rough bits and in the holes where knots are either loose or fallen out leaving a hole then sand and paint. Any other advice?

Wickes flexible wood filler is great.

Last night I was in the "workshop" (garage) foil taping some thin (9/10mm) polystyrene sheet I had. I had one to slot in a spare Maisemore poly nuc feeder to stick on top of the current feeder that still has syrup - hopefully that will keep it warm.
The sheet it came from was the perfect width to fit into the window of my new clear crown boards so I cut a square and taped that up to fit in there and give them a little extra insulation.
It seemed to make a difference as when I checked on them a few hours later they were spread around the top bars a bit more.

At the moment I'm working on building some arduino sensors to track temperature, humidity and sound within a hive. Aiming for spare capacity in case I want to add load cells to detect weight changes and maybe even infrared cameras. That's just because I like tech, tinkering and stats.

I am building my Charnwood 619. Not having ever had a sliding table before I set the fence to zero on the wrong side and one of the nuts which will have to be slackened off is so awkward it's only possible to turn it a flat at a time due to the power switch being too close and of course no room at all for a socket. Bloody designers never build what they dream up.

PH

I'm considering using the Rose method on one hive next year but instead of buying/building non standard gear I knocked up 8 supers from some seasoned cedar I had in store. Then if I don't get on with it I can use them on my nationals :)

The wider the timber the dearer yes?

Why not biscuit joint two together and save the odds?

PH

I didn't want to use the OSB boxes as I would have to make non standard boxes with non standard frames which are more expensive. Tim Rowe says in his videos that it's possible to to use his method with supers but because there are more joints between boxes you are more likely to kill the queen on inspections.
I'm going to have a play next year! 😀

I'm considering using the Rose method on one hive next year but instead of buying/building non standard gear I knocked up 8 supers from some seasoned cedar I had in store. Then if I don't get on with it I can use them on my nationals :)

Good for you! You may find you need more than 8 boxes though. The hives build up very quickly. You can operate the method with any size box - it is only the weight of a full box of honey that is the issue, but there are ways around that.

Spent most of the day rendering wax. A nice pile of yellow discs waiting for fine filtering and two buckets and a sack of wax/cappings still to go. I ran one batch through four layers of muslin and got some very clean wax.

Good for you! You may find you need more than 8 boxes though. The hives build up very quickly. You can operate the method with any size box - it is only the weight of a full box of honey that is the issue, but there are ways around that.

If they get really big I have options as I have some more cedar available and I also picked up 15 super 2nds at NHS. 😁

Made up hive stands and crownboards..

At -1C and unheated the glue is going to take a time to set. I leave paint/varnish till it reaches 8C.. or I will run out of space..

More mini mating nucs next job..

Any that want to post some pics up of their nucs feel free always like a good idea to pinch!!

Put up my pegboards and storage bins this afternoon after poppig into Lidl and buying a 1200W router for £39. I mean.... sheesh what a gift. Given most of what I intend for it is working with insulation it don't need to be super powered.
And it came with 5 cutters....

PH

Knocked up 10 nuc boxes from scratch for the teaching apiary today.
They wanted up to 20 for a load of Queen rearing but I've not got enough seasoned cedar at present.
Just got the floors and roofs to do now!

Attachments

• IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 71
Been in the work shop making a batch of dadant brood frames from scrap wood to go in the 5 dadant hives I made table saw and router table a go go

Latest posts

Back