What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked up a load of single hive stands for the association teaching apiary

I've just finished knocking up 5 stands as well!
I make mine out of tanalised fence rails from Mole Farmers Store. One rail makes a decent stand for less than a fiver.

Fired up my newly created honey warming cabinet.

Warmed quickly to 31.4C, but then didn’t progress.

Ive built at 600cm cubed box, with 50mm insulation all round, but my guess is that the 1ft 45W tube heater isn’t up to the job. It doesn’t have a thermostat but I suspect it thinks it is overheating and cuts out for a bit, as the temp fluctuated a little. I see toolstation have a similarly sized 60W version, so I’ll try switching to that. Worst case scenario I guess I could run both when I want 50C to melt OSR honey.

Still enjoying making things though, even if I’m not totally successful!

Knocked up two Comrcl nucs in anticipation of more swarms......

Made up 5 more floors , 3 double benches and a few supers today

Fired up my newly created honey warming cabinet.

Warmed quickly to 31.4C, but then didn’t progress.

Ive built at 600cm cubed box, with 50mm insulation all round, but my guess is that the 1ft 45W tube heater isn’t up to the job. It doesn’t have a thermostat but I suspect it thinks it is overheating and cuts out for a bit, as the temp fluctuated a little. I see toolstation have a similarly sized 60W version, so I’ll try switching to that. Worst case scenario I guess I could run both when I want 50C to melt OSR honey.

Still enjoying making things though, even if I’m not totally successful!

I use a 120w tube in a larger box of similar construction 450x600x1200 controlled by a thermostat (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-...ntrol-Switch-Probe-12V-24V-220V-/401753781938) and has an 80mm computer fan.
This set up can maintain temperatures in excess of 60deg if required so a 60w heater should be able to heat your box.
Mine takes 3 buckets.

I use a 120w tube in a larger box of similar construction 450x600x1200 controlled by a thermostat (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-...ntrol-Switch-Probe-12V-24V-220V-/401753781938) and has an 80mm computer fan.
This set up can maintain temperatures in excess of 60deg if required so a 60w heater should be able to heat your box.
Mine takes 3 buckets.

Frustratingly, the 60w heater would only get up to 35. So I put the 40w and 60w in - it sits at a steady 39 degrees but no higher. I’ve used 50mm polystyrene insulation on all sides. Maybe it needs kingspan type stuff?

I can only think the heaters are cutting out when they warm up internally? They don’t have thermostats but do have “thermal cut out protection” listed on the specs. They were cheap, so don’t expect them to be doing anything fancy.

Very, very frustrating!

I've got this one (12") gets up to 60 degrees no bother.
Ticks over nicely at temperatures from 20 degrees to 50, put a bucket of rock solid honey in this mid morning, already starting to turn into liquid

Raining most of the day so made a syrup mixing tank.

Fitted a tap to a new oil barrel and bolted a sturdy bit of timber across the top to hold the drill and plaster paddle in place. Cost about 20 quid including the barrel.

I can only think the heaters are cutting out when they warm up internally? They don’t have thermostats but do have “thermal cut out protection” listed on the specs. They were cheap, so don’t expect them to be doing anything fancy.

Very, very frustrating!

I have a similar problem but mine sit around 43C/45C Max.. i suspect they also have a cut out switch i have had them to bits but i can not find anything that catches my eye to indicate a thermal cut out switch..i need to source a different heat source that can hit 60C fairly quickly..

Raining most of the day so made a syrup mixing tank.

Fitted a tap to a new oil barrel and bolted a sturdy bit of timber across the top to hold the drill and plaster paddle in place. Cost about 20 quid including the barrel.

This works so well.

Made up 500 litres in about 30 mins.

The tap is the slowest bit.

Will invest in a pump for this winter.

This works so well.

Made up 500 litres in about 30 mins.

The tap is the slowest bit.

Will invest in a pump for this winter.

Lol was thinking that yesterday as I was decanting a batch into barrels. Needs rectifying because it's only a matter of time before I get distracted doing another 3 jobs and end up with a syrup lake!

Picture please..
Better late than never
a9b153948f13b2fe7e34a9d3f1baeaef.jpg
ccc4e417ea7dd7d8430a8be0be02dd83.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back