What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like its going at a decent speed...any faster and it would take off!

Would like to change the pulley at the extractor end for a bigger one to get much better ratio but wanted to see how it worked first before spending to much time/money on it.

Thank you. It works a treat, so much quieter and with more speed control we can set the motor so the honey starts to spin out nicely and leave it there for ages, probably my best bee keeping mod so far :)

Honey Extractor Video

You Sir are a genius ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded an assortment of plans for Kewl/Underfloor entrances. Knocked up a bodge version to get my head round it and will cut the prices properly this evening.

Downloaded an assortment of plans for Kewl/Underfloor entrances. Knocked up a bodge version to get my head round it and will cut the prices properly this evening.

Got a load of drawings, plans, photos and diagrams here if you want them - just PM me

Got a load of drawings, plans, photos and diagrams here if you want them - just PM me

Thanks. I’ve got a set of plans from you, although the diagrams are jumbled. I’m going to try “the apiarist” design as I happen to have wood of the correct size. Hopefully I can get something built and tested soon. Then I can get more out to the apiary for wasps and the winter.

Do you use a GasVap type thing? I’m wondering about making a hole I can cover for most of the season rather than going under the OMF or making holes in brood boxes.

Do you use a GasVap type thing? .

No wouldn't touch a piece of kit cobbled up in someone's shed, I have eight fingers, two thumbs and a pair of reasonably functioning eyes and lungs, I intend to keep it that way.

Wax melting out of the old frames,
Prepped by last eight supers having got about two dozen on the hives and if I need more I'm down to my last 6 in the flat that I'll make up.

Looking forward to the Thornes sale...….

Set up the chop saw with a nice new TC blade and trued up so square.
Set up the finger miller with a new cutter
Got a deal on 18 x 94 x 2.4 planed whitewood PSE... being delivered tomorrow as do not have the time to collect.... plus a 50 mile round trip and an extortionate bridge fee just to get out of Cornwall!

Now I need to get the supers off, galleons of best Cornish Black bee honey extracted and into buckets.... and then start on making 100 ekes to take the feeders.
Isn't retirement fun?

Chons da

Built a display case for a honey frame from some offcuts and a quick trip to a very helpful local glazier. Surprisingly straightforward, and robust/looks good when completed. Now just have to decide how to treat it (varnish, beeswax polish, or something else).

I've been modifying some standard open mesh floors (wood) into under-floor entrance floors which have about a third of the floor mesh (the rest solid). Last year I found solid floor + poly boxes = wet. Previously with the whole floor open mesh I found it got too cold in there & bees came out of winter quite weak. I'm looking forward to seeing if a partial mesh floor is the best solution for me.

All my floors, underfloor, standard and nuc are modified to increase the depth from mesh to inspection tray. If it’s cold I slide the tray in and it still leaves a gap at the back for ventilation.

Last year I found solid floor + poly boxes = wet.

I find rain can drive in through the entrances and wet floor is the result. I noticed this occurred in hives that faced into the rain finding the abelo insert tray full of rain water. I now leave a gap so the rain runs off through the open mesh floor before the tray (a sort of mainly solid floor with a small mesh gap), presumably something similar to what you are making.

Made up another 25 white wood feeder ekes to use with the English Feeders heisted from Bee Equipment whilst they were going for zilch in their recent sale.
Cracking good look with the finger jointing router table jig set up and a coat of clear Barrentines.

I hurt my back a few weeks ago and I've been really cautious about lifting badly.

So today, in preparation for extracting my supers (clearer boards are now on and tomorrow is extraction day) I made a low stand to sit the pile of supers on so that I don't have to bend too low to pick a full super up when I get to the bottom of the pile. Bit of overkill but I reckon it will also provide a base for my stack of extracted supers stored over winter.

Yesterday in the sunshine I repainted and revamped two bait hives; one a Payne’s 14x12 six frame and the other an eight frame

Both are now fully functional to live in ( rather than having to transfer the bees at the earliest opportunity) mesh floors can be closed off completely temporarily.

I hurt my back a few weeks ago and I've been really cautious about lifting badly.

Seven years since my accident, still suffering a bit, but the plus side is, it seems that the careful shifting of heavy supers over the years has improved muscle strength around the spine which aids core support
That, and the occasional use of industrial grade painkillers keeps me going :D

You have my sympathy, Phil. I don't know what I did the second week in August but still suffering with sciatica and can't move my big toe.
Go carefully.

had sciatica about 6 years ago. You have my sympathy.. (Mine was so bad getting out of bed I cried...wimp)

I now do daily (6 days/week) 10 minute morning sessions of spinal twists and exercises to strengthen back and core muscles.. Sciatica still comes occasionally but very very mild so not painfull at all..

Yes ... back pain is so debilitating... I did mine lifting a 3m length of Ikea worktop on my own ... just bloody stupid ! In hindsight of course ... Cocodomol worked to get me moving in the mornings but it's only the last few days where I've been mostly free of the pain ... body telling me to be more sensible... having spent 30 years bleating on to my staff about HSE and manual handling I really should know better. For those of you with chronic back pain you have my sympathy...it's made me very ill tempered as well as whinging about it.

Latest posts

Back