What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rolled a few smoker rolls to get me through the first few months. Added new bellows to Dadant smoker.

smokerfuel.jpg

Was clearing out the garage yesterday which involved getting rid of some cardboard boxes. Glad I saw this before I did. I now have a lot of smoker rolls so cheers Beefriendly!! :D

They work best if they have a hole through the middle. I start by rolling the cardboard onto a round rod.
Once going will smoke for a few hours.
There are many other types of smoker fuel as well. Dry rotten wood/cotton/dried tea bags, egg cartons, pine cones, lavneder stems etc etc etc

Tried to make brood box out of 12mm external play. Thought I’d correctly adjusted from plans using 18mm ply, but messed it up. Still, a bit of bodging and adding shims and it will function if needed in an emergency.

Learnt a good deal about using the table saw and will be able to adjust my plans to produce something less tatty! Still not 100% sure how to rebate the top rail section without a router, but I’ll have a play with it. Table saw with the blade height adjusted for the rebate perhaps?

Tried to make brood box out of 12mm external play. Thought I’d correctly adjusted from plans using 18mm ply, but messed it up. Still, a bit of bodging and adding shims and it will function if needed in an emergency.

Learnt a good deal about using the table saw and will be able to adjust my plans to produce something less tatty! Still not 100% sure how to rebate the top rail section without a router, but I’ll have a play with it. Table saw with the blade height adjusted for the rebate perhaps?

Have you seen this ?..you will be able to do the rebate with the table saw by moving the fence from one side to the other after each cut once you have worked the correct measurements out for the height of the blade for the two separate measurements ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj5cpkJFxk

Last edited:
What did you do in the Apiary today?

Despite the weather forecast in Central Scotland not being very good this week, it was warm and sunny enough for me to have a much needed check on both my colonies today. Both are 14 x 12 and I had added a super to each about three weeks ago , and despite the fairly cold weather since, they are both half full of honey! There were also queen cells in one of the hives so decided to do a quick split as it is to warm up significantly over the next couple of weeks.
On a different topic I got 1 sting in each hive ( my own fault!) one per hand, one swelled up quite q bit with a fair amount of pain and the other one was fairly painless. I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not different hives can have more venomous stings than others?

Thanks, the weather wasn't ideal although there were a lot of bees flying. Maybe my left hand is more sensitive than the right!! ��

I believe older bees have more toxic venom.. or more of it..(old wives' tale?)

Have you seen this ?..you will be able to do the rebate with the table saw by moving the fence from one side to the other after each cut once you have worked the correct measurements out for the height of the blade for the two separate measurements ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj5cpkJFxk

Ah yes, thanks, it was that videa that inspired me to try it. What I don't have though are the dimensions he is using and whether it is 18mm or 12mm ply. I've been trying to adapt the Dave cushman plans.

Ah yes, thanks, it was that videa that inspired me to try it. What I don't have though are the dimensions he is using and whether it is 18mm or 12mm ply. I've been trying to adapt the Dave cushman plans.

I have read through the comments on the video and he only gives the board dimensions but not the thickness..you will have to have a play about till you get the measurements correct to the thickness of ply you are using..once you have the first one right the rest will be easy..

I believe older bees have more toxic venom.. or more of it..(old wives' tale?)

Not really an old wives tale. Bee's venom glands mature after the bees first emerge...so very young bees can sting but no. or little venom.

Latest posts

Back