What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I bought 3 just to check them out for quality, missing 2 battons and a third was unusable, I didn't think 2nds would be such crap . I will never buy again I'll just have to continue making my own boxes....

Sounds like you got hold of the third quality stuff. (which is advertised as pay your money and take a chance)

'Second quality' are just British cedar and not quite so hot on the finish. You rarely get an unusable part, and if you do, they will replace it.
I wouldn't be foolish enough to pay any more for anything else.

Timed myself making 2 brood boxes from scratch today. 105 mins from planed cedar to finished boxes. Using my normal "handyman" rates it worked out at £19.52 per box.
I'm quite pleased at that as it's probably on par with using seconds from the big boys sales.
Havre you butt joint the rails? How are they fixed as it looks like you have screwed into the main plank of wood. I have done the same too but also fixed through the side into the rails.

OK I see looked again at photo.. Think you might see a screw missing... Or I need to go spec savers lol

OK I see looked again at photo.. Think you might see a screw missing... Or I need to go spec savers lol

You are right, in fact several screws missing. I ran out of stainless screws in that shed and took the picture before I had raided my store!

Havre you butt joint the rails? How are they fixed as it looks like you have screwed into the main plank of wood. I have done the same too but also fixed through the side into the rails.

I put a screw through the side into the end of the rail and also put a screw from the inside into the side of the rail. All the sections are fixed with PU glue as well.

Built a couple of slatted racks. Technically speaking, finished up building two that I started last weekend but got distracted from.

I put a screw through the side into the end of the rail and also put a screw from the inside into the side of the rail. All the sections are fixed with PU glue as well.
I don't use glue, maybe I should, but do the same as you with fixings.

Completed my skep

I finished my skep in time for this years swarm season. Have made it quite a bit bigger than my first one.

I don’t know if it will help, but I’ve put quite a bit of my own bees wax in the skep and will leave it there until I need to use it. The smell of the wax/bees may reassure this seasons swarms and encourage them to stay in there until its time to wrap them up at dusk to bring them back to a new hive?

Just cut all my finished plained timbers to length all top and bottom battons finished for 25 brood boxes and 32 supers , got 16 nucs to paint all crown boards made , roofs next , gonna be busy this weekend

A bit of an increase from your 8 hives eh Deeman....... as you say.... a busy weekend.... good luck.

I don't use glue, maybe I should, but do the same as you with fixings.

I glue all my Lang jumbo and super frames. I do them 9 at a time in a jig so does not take very long...

Rolled a few smoker rolls to get me through the first few months. Added new bellows to Dadant smoker.

smokerfuel.jpg

Put together some DN5 frames with wired foundation today. Getting the new Abelo poly hive ready for a new colony

Made up six supers worth of frames. Made up six BB's of Brood foundation. Made 4 Demaree boards, painted 15 QE's finished painting four supers, two floors. I'm knackered now!!

Made and tested a bottle labeller - manual.. A few minor adjustments and labelling will be very easy and much quicker.

Made and tested a bottle labeller - manual.. A few minor adjustments and labelling will be very easy and much quicker.

Thats why I move to labels on reels, the one I use needs labels on a 76mm core, is yours for Hex jars. I'd love to see a picture.

Will it beat my manual timed tested average of labelling 10 jars per minute?
Not rolls, just sheets of labels...peel and stick.

Will it beat my manual timed tested average of labelling 10 jars per minute?
Not rolls, just sheets of labels...peel and stick.

What size labels are they, I would love to see a video of you doing 10 labels a minute all straight and in the same place on every jar. The manual labelling machine I use will do 12 a minute, these are 120x60 labels.

Back