What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 weeks but not completely normal function for a year....I am going to have to watch him like a hawk
I wish him well. A chap in the village, in his 70s, recently had his second one and seemed quite quickly to be dog walking again. Grovelling about on the potting shed roof might be a challenge though!

I'll always say Digges as it was the first beekeeping book (given to me by my grandfather when I was nine) I read, and when you look at the times the book was reprinted from 1902 until 2002, it tells you a thing or two.
Manley, Snelgrove, then later, Hooper and de Bruin are must reads IMHO. I read Cramp's book on beekeeping many years ago when I was really getting into my beekeeping and promptly left him on the shelf with my other 'doubt I'll read again' books. Of course with my interest in African beekeeping there's also Francis Smith and May's 'Beekeeping in Southern Africa'(who doesn't tell us a lot, but it was a start)
There are loads of others I've hoarded over the years, many that I'm still getting to grips with.
It's very difficult to be a legend until you've achieved that most effective of all publicity stunts - dying. So-called living legends tend to be reclusive to the extent that they might as well have departed this mortal coil. I feel that the boringly alive among us get a raw deal. In music, for instance, no-one will admit to being inspired by their contemporaries, and won't give an inch in their belief that the greats of the past had special qualities the likes of which we will never see again.

On beekeeping books, I've had a thrill reading Maeterlinck, Longgood, T Edwards et al, but they are no substitute for a contemporary book on learning beekeeping. We got Haynes (C Waring) at our intro course, with a recommendation to read Hooper. I did, very thoroughly, and by trying to summarise as I went along, I came away with a huge respect for the precision of his language. Manley and Sims were great reads too. I think I would recommend Sammataro for a textbook but I'd be shouted down because 'they do things completely differently on the other side of the pond.' (What rubbish.) In which case, I think David Cramp's book (the big one, not the checklist) is as good as the available others in that category.

In a category of its own, however, is Cramps's little Beekeepers' Field Guide. It's peerless because it's the only one. I didn't succeed in writing mine, and now I know I never will.

I think David Cramp's book (the big one, not the checklist) is as good as the available others in that category.
In my view it's one of the worst - certainly the last one that springs to mind when asked for recommendations.

But surely if they are out all the time, they are foraging and bringing back more stores? Assuming there's something for them to forage...
K ;)
Not much - bit of ivy & tamarisk but even the asters have gone over now. Trouble is it’s very mild so they’re out even if it’s raining. Some of it is orientation too.

another glorious day today so, after moving a half palletful of jars from my friend's animal feed stores to my own bee shed, I nipped up the range and removed all the feeders and checked all the hives were strapped down, probably be Christmas by the time I'm up there next and hopefully there won't be trees down over the track (I had to remove a small one, courtesy of Sunday's breeze today)

Latest posts

Back