What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't sound like you'll be needing to wait long for the next rain, either.

James
It's coming in in the early hours tomorrow, then easing off by the morning, hopefully the afternoon will be similar to today but with probably the odd shower so I can shoot off to the range and sort out that apiary for the winter. so hopefully by the time Bernard goes to that field next, any mess will be put down to the sheep and the cattle!

Last edited:
Inspired by a famous book - The Checklist, Atul Gawande - I've been trying to keep a checklist of what I learn (and preferably retain) about beekeeping. It has become quite unwieldy, and all about the writing, never the reading back.

So I was more than delighted yesterday to find this in a charity bookshop. Someone has already done the task, so elegantly and economically. Well done David Cramp!

View attachment 41442
You convinced me to get my paws on this book. It may not be ring-bound, but the content seems worth investigating. At less than a tenner for the used copy ... Thankyou.

Cramp is definitely not the first author I would jump to in a tight spot
It's possible I have an exaggerated sense of his achievement because I'd been trying (and failing) to write for myself the very book I found. But I still think he's great.

Who are your favourite writers on books about beekeeping in general?

tells you a thing or two
There is a charity bookshop here with a vast collection of books. The only indications of prices are notices dotted about the shop that say Paperbacks £1.50 Hardbacks £2.50.

The price tells you nothing at all about the book.

You convinced me to get my paws on this book. It may not be ring-bound, but the content seems worth investigating. At less than a tenner for the used copy ... Thankyou.
I have this book on my kindle was £3.99. I think even if I only learn a few things from reading it, it’s got to be good value.

Who are your favourite writers on books about beekeeping in general?
I'll always say Digges as it was the first beekeeping book (given to me by my grandfather when I was nine) I read, and when you look at the times the book was reprinted from 1902 until 2002, it tells you a thing or two.
Manley, Snelgrove, then later, Hooper and de Bruin are must reads IMHO. I read Cramp's book on beekeeping many years ago when I was really getting into my beekeeping and promptly left him on the shelf with my other 'doubt I'll read again' books. Of course with my interest in African beekeeping there's also Francis Smith and May's 'Beekeeping in Southern Africa'(who doesn't tell us a lot, but it was a start)
There are loads of others I've hoarded over the years, many that I'm still getting to grips with.

First visit to the apiary in a while. All well fed and obviously adding to their stores from ivy. Bees flying in the warm sunshine and pollen coming in to all seven colonies. Having to walk across the field to the bees as the Somerset levels are a bit too wet for vehicle access over the last couple of hundred yards. Glad the liquid feed is all finished and the next heavy lifting will be fondant about Christmas time.

Have you actually looked in or are they hefting light?
Both. All hives have clear crownboards so I can peek in and I do a two finger lift from the back. My measure is if I can lift it, they’re a bit light.

I'll always say Digges as it was the first beekeeping book (given to me by my grandfather when I was nine) I read, and when you look at the times the book was reprinted from 1902 until 2002, it tells you a thing or two.
Manley, Snelgrove, then later, Hooper and de Bruin are must reads IMHO. I read Cramp's book on beekeeping many years ago when I was really getting into my beekeeping and promptly left him on the shelf with my other 'doubt I'll read again' books. Of course with my interest in African beekeeping there's also Francis Smith and May's 'Beekeeping in Southern Africa'(who doesn't tell us a lot, but it was a start)
There are loads of others I've hoarded over the years, many that I'm still getting to grips with.
African beekeeping, Anna Nanziri is a lady I follow on Twitter, she is in Uganda, quite inspirational imo

Both. All hives have clear crownboards so I can peek in and I do a two finger lift from the back. My measure is if I can lift it, they’re a bit light.
Mine have been fed and vaped a couple of weeks now and are nailed down. Some of them are Buckies which I might expect to be hungrier but all's well so far. Haven't checked the swarm on the potting shed roof but they were good on stores last looked in and had 5kg of fondant on top of the crown board. Will have to send Stan up there before he has his new knee done

It's coming in in the early hours tomorrow, then easing off by the morning
Wind and rain battered through the night. We live surrounded by beech trees. I woke a couple of times to the clatter of beech mast on the bathroom velux. All fairly quiet now

Mine have been fed and vaped a couple of weeks now and are nailed down. Some of them are Buckies which I might expect to be hungrier but all's well so far. Haven't checked the swarm on the potting shed roof but they were good on stores last looked in and had 5kg of fondant on top of the crown board. Will have to send Stan up there before he has his new knee done
Finished vaping a few weeks ago but it’s been so mild here - 20 degrees yesterday (!) so the bees are out all the time burning energy. I am concerned that they will blast through all their stores before Christmas at this rate so I’m peeking through the top & hefting every 2-3 weeks while it’s still so mild. Temperature all next week is forecast to be around 17 degrees.

Poor old Stan, I feel for him!😂

Latest posts

Back