What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to new apiary site to carry on setting up. Already have 2 hives there and they were both working very hard on the willow. Had to wear my suit as they were very 'pingy' even though I was only walking around the hives.

Bee’s busy out flying, snow still covering the hilltop’s but pleasant in the sunshine. Had to replenish fondant on 3 out of 6 colonies. Roll on better weather the ground here is so sodden it’s going to take a long time to dry it out and warm it up for growing 🤦‍♀️

View attachment IMG_4204.mov

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 0
First day of spring in the apiary today (sunny, 12C, no wind) judging by the frenetic activity of the bees and the satisfyingly loud hum.
Masses of bright yellow pollen entering 5/6 hives - maybe willow (tho' goat willow not out yet) or Mahonia from neighbouring gardens? Sixth hive equally busy but much less pollen entering - maybe the queen has been slow to start laying?

Bee’s busy out flying, snow still covering the hilltop’s but pleasant in the sunshine. Had to replenish fondant on 3 out of 6 colonies. Roll on better weather the ground here is so sodden it’s going to take a long time to dry it out and warm it up for growing 🤦‍♀️

View attachment 39129
What a beautiful sight - in and outside of the apiary!

Another 15 days in my book until spring is officially here , had a Hospital appointment today so no bee work . But yesterday checked all six colonie's and all looking good with plenty of heft weight to them and all CB's nicely warm to the touch under the PIR.

I took the opportunity to move 7 hives out of my isolation apiary today ready for the new season. It was cold and misty in my valley until about 10.30 but when I relocated them on a local hill it was sunny and the established hives were really busy.
As I went to set up a Paynes poly nuc I managed to dislodge the roof so took the opertunity to check the stores.
It was lacking stores so I rolled out some fondant and slipped it in the feeder.
As I adjusted a dislodged frame I noticed a 2” dia patch of drone brood on one frame and a few more on the facing frame!
They certainly didn’t look strong enough to swarm so could they be thinking about supercedure?

I took the opportunity to move 7 hives out of my isolation apiary today ready for the new season. It was cold and misty in my valley until about 10.30 but when I relocated them on a local hill it was sunny and the established hives were really busy.
As I went to set up a Paynes poly nuc I managed to dislodge the roof so took the opertunity to check the stores.
It was lacking stores so I rolled out some fondant and slipped it in the feeder.
As I adjusted a dislodged frame I noticed a 2” dia patch of drone brood on one frame and a few more on the facing frame!
They certainly didn’t look strong enough to swarm so could they be thinking about supercedure?
Only three and a half months until your longest day :unsure:
Possibly will take a month more for emerging/ maturity and then only two and a half months until the longest day.

Last edited:
Checked the out apiary and this colony going great guns. Had to add loads of fondant and some candipolline as hive quite light & not much forage about here and rain forecast again 🙄 although they are starting to build brace comb in the eke….
Also checked on the bees in the shed in the other out apiary. They threw off a couple of lovely swarms last year and as I need some more colonies, decided with the owner to let them swarm again this year and possibly cut out next year. She seems quite relaxed about it and I think rather enjoys the excitement! Looks like a small cluster in situ top left which corresponds with the entrance outside.

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpeg
    IMG_6150.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240306T104420.jpeg
    20240306T104420.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Hefted and checked them through the clear crownboards, lots of bees and really active. The full hives all heft heavy but the 8 frame modiifed Paynes nuc felt a little light last weekend. The fondant I have is on a top shelf in the garage and was totally inaccessible .. so I put half a rapid feeder of invertbee on the feeder hole (more in optimism than anything) - they were up and at it in no time and by today it was empty so they got another litre or so. Nobody more surprised than me. The feeder is in a super which is also a clear crownboard and there was insulation on top of the feeder and a thin polycarb sheet under the roof so they are fairly toasty ... still a bit surprised that they will take syrup down.

Latest posts

Back