What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worry is not if they take it down but will they get it dried down in case the weather changes and risks fermentation. You have to remember that the syrup in the hive will be warm with the colony close by - perfect for fermentation. Do you put thymol in your syrup?

The worry is not if they take it down but will they get it dried down in case the weather changes and risks fermentation. You have to remember that the syrup in the hive will be warm with the colony close by - perfect for fermentation. Do you put thymol in your syrup?
It's invertbee - not sugar syrup - not often that it ferments. No, I don't put thymol in it.

Sorry - did not read "Invertbee" in your post, just syrup later on. Apologies. However not everyone uses invertbee and just make their own from sugar which can ferment.

invert doesn't ferment and it's safe for bees to store it even if it has not been 'dried down' one of the benefits of using it, and being able to carry on feeding well into the winter

Just had an argument with some idiot on FaceAche asking why they shouldn't be opening up their hives to do inspections as it was '16 degrees where I am and I should take into account where people live". :banghead::banghead:

I had posted that no-one should be opening up hives unless there was danger of starvation and then only very quickly to add fondant. Some are claiming they already have drones and are talking about making splits. AAAAARRRGGHHH!!!! I really despair sometimes. I feel really sorry for her bees and hope she cops a few stings for her troubles TBH....

C
Just had an argument with some idiot on FaceAche asking why they shouldn't be opening up their hives to do inspections as it was '16 degrees where I am and I should take into account where people live". :banghead::banghead:

I had posted that no-one should be opening up hives unless there was danger of starvation and then only very quickly to add fondant. Some are claiming they already have drones and are talking about making splits. AAAAARRRGGHHH!!!! I really despair sometimes. I feel really sorry for her bees and hope she cops a few stings for her troubles TBH....
Somebody recently posted a link to an article asking this question. “Why do 80% of new beekeepers give up within the first five years?”
There’s one answer.
So many blind leading the blind too. Get your colony through one winter and you’re an expert.

Just stood and watched for 10 mins ... all colonies flying in numbers - lots of heavy pollen baskets and a few different colours - goodness only knows what they are finding. They were ignoring the pond in my garden (their usual water source) in preference to the water standing on the top of the dead dishwasher by the side of the house waiting to go to the tip. As it had been in the sun all morning I suspect the water was a bit warmer than the pond - clever girls ...

Pollen flooding into my hive today.
Fed them some fondant earlier in the winter when it was much colder to ensure I didn’t have to open them up to give more.
Takeaway tubs are now full of brace comb.
Hive is still pretty heavy and therefore decided against giving more fondant.
Given brace comb building, weight and temperatures rising, considering another nuc brood extension on at some point but probably not quite yet.
Bees bubbling over when the lid comes off.
Let me know what you think!

Mine are sucking it from sodden sand bags at the front of the house and their speciality, at the rear, is getting it from the tool holes in drain inspection covers.

SWMBO pointed out that the local food bank was looking for honey so I decided to look through my store and collect up some “end of line” buckets and blend them together. I jarred them up today, labelled them tonight and should be delivering tomorrow.
Hopefully the beneficiaries will enjoy.
IMG_2854.jpegIMG_2766.jpeg

SWMBO pointed out that the local food bank was looking for honey so I decided to look through my store and collect up some “end of line” buckets and blend them together. I jarred them up today, labelled them tonight and should be delivering tomorrow.
View attachment 39156View attachment 39157
Very generous of you 👍

View attachment 39156View attachment 39157
That's great. I do that from time to time. Lampeter does have a food bank but there is also an independently run Food Project which does hot food and drink as well as clothes, bedding etc. Last week I dropped in a whole load of seed spuds for the gardeners. Some company had donated a good number of slow cookers

That's great. I do that from time to time. Lampeter does have a food bank but there is also an independently run Food Project which does hot food and drink as well as clothes, bedding etc. Last week I dropped in a whole load of seed spuds for the gardeners. Some company had donated a good number of slow cookers
I tend to put a few things in the box when I shop in the supermarket but this was from a few 1/4-1/2 buckets tucked in the back of my store that would be a pain to jar and label as individual “village” honeys so blending them as Sussex Honey seemed a good idea.

1000007040.jpg
Have been making slimline bait hives.
Meet the Baitinator 3000. Around 35ltrs volume. Takes 5 brood frames with lots of open space underneath.
Comes in a variety of options, including a 40 ltr version.
Made of scraps of wood scavenged with permission from skips.

Success with a prototype in the video.

Attachments

• 1000001329.mp4
    4.9 MB
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back