What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh ... So it's not a Demaree ... that's what was confusing me ... I could see the colony on the far left was what I consider to be a proper Demaree but with the big stack, I thought I was missing something and you had a different slant on a Demaree. - So, it's really a single brood box with a stack of supers and broods used as supers ? And the top brood box is that full of honey - if it is why put it on the top of the stack - have you not heard of hernias and beekeepers back ?

Not sure you are right about your inspections though ... If you have the queen excluder above the first brood box there's going to be no eggs in the second brood box by now and if you were inspecting for swarm cells tipping, the second brood box to look at the bottom of the frames is not going to show you any ? Or am I mistaken again ?
The top brood box or super is getting extracted next week and I thought I said about tipping/ tilting the bottom to look for cells , also if I need to roll any capped brood frames they go in the second box above the qx . After 30 days there isn’t much drone brood above or any means to make qcs .

You could class the method as a modified demaree but to some that’s not a proper demaree 😂

broods used as supers ? And the top brood box is that full of honey - if it is why put it on the top of the stack - have you not heard of hernias and beekeepers back ?
The "super" refers to a box above the brood (where the queen is). It's not to do with the size of the box or what a box has previously been used for.

Last edited:
Ahh ... So it's not a Demaree ... that's what was confusing me ... I could see the colony on the far left was what I consider to be a proper Demaree but with the big stack, I thought I was missing something and you had a different slant on a Demaree. - So, it's really a single brood box with a stack of supers and broods used as supers ? And the top brood box is that full of honey - if it is why put it on the top of the stack - have you not heard of hernias and beekeepers back ?

Not sure you are right about your inspections though ... If you have the queen excluder above the first brood box there's going to be no eggs in the second brood box by now and if you were inspecting for swarm cells tipping, the second brood box to look at the bottom of the frames is not going to show you any ? Or am I mistaken again ?
I think you’ve miss read what I wrote above ?

I think you’ve miss read what I wrote above ?
No ... I don't think I misread it ... I think what you suggested originally was a Demaree on a double brood was nothing like a Demaree ... it was a single brood with a queen excluder on top of the bottom box and a big pile of supers, some shallows, some deeps on the top. I thought I was confused when I looked at the photos closely but I think actually, you are the one who is confused and your subsequent explanation was even more confusing as it suggests you were doing it to permit tipping the bottom box to inspect for swarm preps - makes little sense.

You appear to know how a proper Demaree should be done as the pile of boxes to the far left are set up correctly for a Demaree but the big pile in the middle is nothing like a Demaree - modified or otherwise. Let's hope nobody is following in your footsteps with that idea.

The "super" refers to a box above the brood (where the queen is). It's not to do with the size of the box or what a box has previously been used for.
Surprisingly, as I'm not a proper beekeeper, I do know the difference between a brood box and a super - AND I also understand the difference between a shallow super and a deep super. But thank you for pointing it out - saves a lot of confusion when other people read the thread.

As you rightly point out, Mark has single brood box with a queen excluder and then a pile of mixed shallow and deep supers above it.

Heard a hive roaring for the first time. Amazing but unmistakable sound!
I split them on 10th May as they were preparing to swarm, moving the Q to a nuc.
Knocked back all QCs except one a week later & left them to it. Marked a nice sealed QC on 22nd. They swarmed anyway (found open QC hidden amongst drone brood 🙄), recaptured swarm & reunited with the colony.
Opened up yesterday, no sign of Q or eggs but lots of roaring and bees fanning like mad on the tops of the frames.
Not sure if Q- or not so will add a frame of eggs next week to check.
Meanwhile the bees are busy ramming the supers with nectar 😁

I split them on 10th May as they were preparing to swarm, moving the Q to a nuc.
Knocked back all QCs except one a week later & left them to it. Marked a nice sealed QC on 22nd. They swarmed anyway (found open QC hidden amongst drone brood 🙄), recaptured swarm & reunited with the colony.
Opened up yesterday, no sign of Q or eggs but lots of roaring and bees fanning like mad on the tops of the frames.
Did you notice any polished cells ?

Amazing how easy it is to miss that queen cell tucked away in a corner or up the side when it's not the usual acorn shape, Little blighters!!

Helping a beginner with a swarmed hive. Multiple QCs = all with dead larvae , one formed queen. I took 4 QCs 2 weeks ago and two emerged. No signs of Black Queen Virus... confused.. Some ofndifferent frames so chilling unlikely.

Back