What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly gardening today but went to watch the hive activity when the sun was on them. Sadly it looks like I’ve lost one. Usually the busiest, it was completely quiet. This hive had big varroa drops from both Autumn & winter treatments and on last check there wasn’t much brood uncapping on the varroa board. I had planned to requeen them in Spring as they have been the greediest so and so’s, went to double BB really fast and also swarmed twice…. Saved me the bother I guess.
Will sort them out next week when I heft the others.

Bees flying from four hives, still not sure about the one but time will tell. Crocus in full bloom and the bees taking full advantage
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Realised that wax exchange at the beekeeping show would be a good idea. Spent most of the morning gathering all the bits of wax together to melt into a single lump for trading in.

Changed some hive stands in one of my out apiaries, using concrete blocks and wood. It was bothering me for days how I was going to strap the hive to the stand for the remainder of winter (in case of high winds), I didn’t really want to strap them front to back. Then just this morning the solution came to me, I am quite pleased with my revelation. I put a piece of wood under the hive and planks and strapped it all together. A simple thing but I felt i’d achieved something 😂

Attachments

• 7C463AB5-6AF7-4354-9790-071493213DBD.jpeg
    7C463AB5-6AF7-4354-9790-071493213DBD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Watched snowdrop pollen going in. Checked all the inspection trays which are fitted liberally with brood cappings. Two of them spattered with crumbs of Ivy honey.

Realised that wax exchange at the beekeeping show would be a good idea. Spent most of the morning gathering all the bits of wax together to melt into a single lump for trading in.

I don't feel that the "exchange rate" for wax is very good these days. If it's practical I'd be looking at making foundation directly from the wax or even just making flat sheets to cut into starter strips.

James

I don't feel that the "exchange rate" for wax is very good these days. If it's practical I'd be looking at making foundation directly from the wax or even just making flat sheets to cut into starter strips.

James
And you know where the foundation has come from ... lots to commend it !

And you know where the foundation has come from ... lots to commend it !

Quite. I believe pretty much all the major vendors say their foundation is prepared with sterlised wax these days, but sterile doesn't necessarily mean free from contaminants and quite possibly they'd never be able to tell if they tried. Who knows what might have got into the wax they're using? Pesticides? Medical treatments, legal or otherwise? Rhubarb leaves? Salt?

There are other possible uses for wax in the apiary, too. I believe some people use it to make their own cups for grafting larvae into for queen raising, for example. I don't know how well it works, but it means less plastic being used. Sealing home-made feeders, perhaps. Ok, so not very many :D I'm running out of ideas now.

James

Checked debris on the boards. I had noticed one colony had been in the same position all Winter - adjacent to the front and side corner that cops the rain! Yesterday, with bees flying and bringing in pollen, it was clear they’d finally changed position, to the front and side corner directly opposite, that gets more sun👍
Lots of chewed up bits of bee on the other board from my resident shrew!
Both colonies very active and going through fondant rapidly.

Mostly gardening today but went to watch the hive activity when the sun was on them. Sadly it looks like I’ve lost one. Usually the busiest, it was completely quiet. This hive had big varroa drops from both Autumn & winter treatments and on last check there wasn’t much brood uncapping on the varroa board. I had planned to requeen them in Spring as they have been the greediest so and so’s, went to double BB really fast and also swarmed twice…. Saved me the bother I guess.
Will sort them out next week when I heft the others.
Update - decided to check for certain & make sure it wasn’t a blocked entrance issue. They’re on a UFE so used my bent wire tool to poke around underneath & clear any possible corpses.
Had a peek under the roof - a medium sized cluster of live bees in and under the fondant but also a few bees with DWV so maybe the mites did their damage…..
Can only wait and see until spring.

Quite. I believe pretty much all the major vendors say their foundation is prepared with sterlised wax these days, but sterile doesn't necessarily mean free from contaminants and quite possibly they'd never be able to tell if they tried. Who knows what might have got into the wax they're using? Pesticides? Medical treatments, legal or otherwise? Rhubarb leaves? Salt?

There are other possible uses for wax in the apiary, too. I believe some people use it to make their own cups for grafting larvae into for queen raising, for example. I don't know how well it works, but it means less plastic being used. Sealing home-made feeders, perhaps. Ok, so not very many :D I'm running out of ideas now.

James
We make candles and soap but sometimes there is too much and getting someone else to make foundation just feels easier.

Update - decided to check for certain & make sure it wasn’t a blocked entrance issue. They’re on a UFE so used my bent wire tool to poke around underneath & clear any possible corpses.
Had a peek under the roof - a medium sized cluster of live bees in and under the fondant but also a few bees with DWV so maybe the mites did their damage…..
Can only wait and see until spring.
If you can see bees with deformed wings they are likely in a poor state in general, plus any brood is likely to be compromised. Meaning they could dwindle rather than build in Spring. Bite the bullet as soon as possible open up and I’d slide a apivar strip into the centre of cluster, they are probably nuc sized so 1 should do the trick but you can judge.

Bees flying today, pollen coming back with perhaps 1 in every 10-15 bees, many just orientating I think. Two colours of pollen seen. Also signs of something not quite right in this nuc.

View attachment 35116
Bird flu?? watch out for Cockscomb that can be nasty too ;)

Back