What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday had day off, we just walked around.. Our cats were joining us in a walk.Relative cold but sunny. Bees weren't at forage at large but were around.. Hives are lighter every day and I am becoming heavier.. Luckily a lot of job awaits in the orchard to turn this fat back into muscles again.. Today total change, rain turning into snow now..View attachment 23810View attachment 23811View attachment 23812View attachment 23813View attachment 23814View attachment 23815
Cute cats! Mine follows us around the garden too, though she hates the snow, v keen to get back indoors. Much prefers watching cat TV

Attachments

• BC762438-CBB2-4A0C-B4CA-2FF298802517.jpeg
    BC762438-CBB2-4A0C-B4CA-2FF298802517.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 9
  • AD9C7C1B-AA13-4568-AC7D-34653D156111.jpeg
    AD9C7C1B-AA13-4568-AC7D-34653D156111.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1E3406C8-652C-4DA1-ABF9-CF9B5644AC2E.jpeg
    1E3406C8-652C-4DA1-ABF9-CF9B5644AC2E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
Our today also stay under the roof.. Only yellow one ( from my avatar picture) followed me in the field meowing after me.. I had to take it back, it would get all wet and since there is no heating I don't like to it catch cold..

Adding supers...... Yesterday and today
Adding Lang brood box/supers - Should be easy right?
What was I thinking when I decided to standardize on Lang brood boxes a supers....
All I can think is it must be the 11th frame that adds so much additional weight.... Has to be!
They never used to be this heavy?
... Something's changed...
:cry:

Adding supers...... Yesterday and today
Adding Lang brood box/supers - Should be easy right?
What was I thinking when I decided to standardize on Lang brood boxes a supers....
All I can think is it must be the 11th frame that adds so much additional weight.... Has to be!
They never used to be this heavy?
... Something's changed...
:cry:
Yeah...they sure are heavy, particularly if you are using 10 framers. That's one reason why I standardised them to the smaller ideal sized boxes for everything.

Yeah...they sure are heavy, particularly if you are using 10 framers. That's one reason why I standardised them to the smaller ideal sized boxes for everything.
Most of my brood boxes are home made using 18mm ply wood and specked to the Langstroth brood outside diameter... This gives the 11 frames ample space inside....
So,,,,, FULL Lang brood filled with honey/nectar - plus 10 %... Really need to weigh one of these things when I get the chance...
Unless........ excuse the Swear Word! Unless it's Old Age catching up.....???

Put pollen patties on today, taking advantage of the warmer spell. Want to try and boost them ready for osr. .not so much being grown round here now though. all my colonies still on double brood, with loads of stores in top box. 6 colonies had bees right at the top on the top bars, which took little notice of smoke. The other two were a bit weaker and in the bottom box. But all looking good. Done a bit earlier than I have before, but I feel it is going to be prolonged cold for a while

I toured the apiaries today to check all the hives for stores. I now have fondant on most of them and a couple were in need of an instant top-up. The weather was about 6C and quite pleasant in the sunshine although the wind was very cold on one of the exposed sites. I had a good morning, getting out and away from SWMBO and M-I-L.

My production colonies were at "front of house". One colony seemed to exhibit stressed behaviour running back and forth at the entrance as they do when queenless!!!

Checked fondant levels and only needed to top up one.
Lots of bees flying from one hive, none from the others.

I toured the apiaries today to check all the hives for stores. I now have fondant on most of them and a couple were in need of an instant top-up. The weather was about 6C and quite pleasant in the sunshine although the wind was very cold on one of the exposed sites. I had a good morning, getting out and away from SWMBO and M-I-L.
What's an instant top-up?
Cheers
Neil

Now, not later,,,
Reminds me of Lesotho, if you were asked 'when do you want it?' and you answered 'now' then next question you'd be asked is 'do you mean now,now.......now.........or now then'
The differences being if you asked for 'now,now' you might get it soon if you just said 'now' it would probably come in a while, and as for now,then.........................................................................

Reminds me of Lesotho, if you were asked 'when do you want it?' and you answered 'now' then next question you'd be asked is 'do you mean now,now.......now.........or now then'
The differences being if you asked for 'now,now' you might get it soon if you just said 'now' it would probably come in a while, and as for now,then.........................................................................
I had the same sort of issue whilst working on a runway in the British Virgin Islands. The guy in charge of the airport was a Canadian and when I indicated my frustration with the locals he explained “Neil, you have to understand that manana is too fast for most locals!”
Lovely people but sooooooo frustrating to work with. 😁

I had the same sort of issue whilst working on a runway in the British Virgin Islands. The guy in charge of the airport was a Canadian and when I indicated my frustration with the locals he explained “Neil, you have to understand that manana is too fast for most locals!”
Lovely people but sooooooo frustrating to work with. 😁
Yehhhh ... But if you lived in The British Virgin Islands would you want to work ? Sunshine, beautiful blue seas, offshore wind in the morning, onshore in the afternoon ... loads of little anchorages in secluded coves for lunch and a swim with the most beautiful sealife then a gentle sail back for a sundowner on the beach and some seafood .... and another day the same tomorrow. As near to paradise as you can find on earth ...

A man from South Uist was asked for the Gaelic equivalent of mañana. He replied, I don't think we have anything to convey that degree of urgency.

Yehhhh ... But if you lived in The British Virgin Islands would you want to work ? Sunshine, beautiful blue seas, offshore wind in the morning, onshore in the afternoon ... loads of little anchorages in secluded coves for lunch and a swim with the most beautiful sealife then a gentle sail back for a sundowner on the beach and some seafood .... and another day the same tomorrow. As near to paradise as you can find on earth ...
Oh I so agree, was wonderful, but I had a 4 week contract to carry out a treatment to the runway. It was all nightwork so the days were spent sleeping in the shade on white beaches next to crystal seas. Oh those were the days 😊

Me and Alfie went out on his bike! watched some hives taking Clensing fliets, which was nice to see after all the cold, snowy weather we've had, hefted some hives, they seemed heavy enough, then we ended up on the summit car park. IMG_20210113_142106.jpgIMG_20210113_142113.jpgIMG_20210113_142100.jpg
That quad has some pip for a little un! :love: my lad.

Latest posts

Back