What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to brave the lockdown and weigh the bees - all the way down to the bottom of my garden!

They all started in Sep with 20-21.5kg of honey (I don't feed). The lightest of them has 17.3kg today. I think they should do just fine.

Cleared a load of brambles to make room for some more stands.
With temp. minus 12° next to my hives, that's the sort of thing I have to do in my imagination, sitting in front of a blazing stove with a glass of brandy. All things considered, I'm jealous.:unsure:

With temp. minus 12° next to my hives, that's the sort of thing I have to do in my imagination, sitting in front of a blazing stove with a glass of brandy. All things considered, I'm jealous.:unsure:
I like the sound of your alternative ;)
It was very cold but I soon built up a sweat. Over did things a bit and paid for it later, I was expecting to be in a right state today (sciatic problem) but feel surprisingly chipper.

Today cut back the hedging behind the hives, pulled out lots of ivy acting as trip wires across the apiary. Dig out two box shrubs that had gotten too big in front of the hives. Planted half a dozen box shoots with roots in another part of the garden.
Now SWMBO has a great view of the hives from the lounge and will be on swarm watch duties come May.

Hefted my hives and they seem fine. Woke up a queen wasp in my microscopy room.

Yesterday had day off, we just walked around.. Our cats were joining us in a walk.Relative cold but sunny. Bees weren't at forage at large but were around.. Hives are lighter every day and I am becoming heavier.. Luckily a lot of job awaits in the orchard to turn this fat back into muscles again.. Today total change, rain turning into snow now..IMG_20210107_133108_compress59.jpgIMG_20210107_123937_compress91.jpgIMG_20210107_124023_compress48.jpgIMG_20210107_123609_compress98.jpgIMG_20210107_133112_compress33.jpgIMG_20210107_102403_compress59.jpg

I'm not really a cat person, but the image compress33 is the spitting image of a cat we had years ago in Norfolk. A great ratter, used to sleep with the horse next door and came for walks with the dogs, had a big character.

2 new hive stands up and some hives moved around.
I need to move 2 National hives about 300 yards. I am aware of the 3m/3mile guide. The closest "parking" spot would be 8 miles away down country lanes.
I am worried that the uneven roads may cause the clusters to break. Would a direct move be safer since the temperatures are forecast to remain low with little flying activity? I would appreciate the Forum's views accepting that there will be no perfect solution.

I need to move 2 National hives about 300 yards. I am aware of the 3m/3mile guide. The closest "parking" spot would be 8 miles away down country lanes.
I am worried that the uneven roads may cause the clusters to break. Would a direct move be safer since the temperatures are forecast to remain low with little flying activity? I would appreciate the Forum's views accepting that there will be no perfect solution.
Does not apply at this time of year. Just move them.

:iagree:
Just move them.
Nobody is flying at the moment
Two bees poked their noses out yesterday orientated themselves briefly and went back.

I'm not really a cat person, but the image compress33 is the spitting image of a cat we had years ago in Norfolk. A great ratter, used to sleep with the horse next door and came for walks with the dogs, had a big character.
Both are great hunters. All what moves is their target. The one You mentioned is older and lot of rats ended by her. Fearless, not rarely has scratches from fight with rats.. They do patrol around hives at first apiary. So it is less to worry about not having mouse guards, not to mention woodpecker feathers found occasionally, those who came too close.. Some greedy squirrels and fat dormouse which don't stick to woods and take a try of our hazelnuts end their career also.

Love the row of colourful hives👍

Latest posts

Back