What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked 10 day mite drop on 3 hives in one apiary.
Hive 1 - 1 mite
Hive 2 - 0 mites
Hive 3 - 3 mites
I was chuffed with that :)

I took time today to watch in wonder at the bees frantically dashing off from the hives to gather nectar. Very active today, even with a blustery cold front sweeping across. I wondered too if the new queens have been accepted and are laying in hives prepped for the leatherwoods, with just 2 weeks left until I take them.... and then I optimistically started making more honey supers in anticipation.

Weighed all my hives, some up 2lbs, some down 2lbs but no need for fondant. Then vaped them all. I use tablets . One had two as there was some evidence of varroa. The others got one tablet each. That put a hum up in the hives!!!!
Interestingly one inspection floor was covered in tiny black poo. When vaped there were loads of woodlice trying to get out! I don't think they harm the bees but could do without them!
E

Weighed all my hives, some up 2lbs, some down 2lbs but no need for fondant. Then vaped them all. I use tablets . One had two as there was some evidence of varroa. The others got one tablet each. That put a hum up in the hives!!!!
Interestingly one inspection floor was covered in tiny black poo. When vaped there were loads of woodlice trying to get out! I don't think they harm the bees but could do without them!
E
What tablets do you use? Do they sit in the vaporiser dish? Could they be used with a varrox vaporiser?

Thanks

What tablets do you use? Do they sit in the vaporiser dish? Could they be used with a varrox vaporiser?

Thanks
Oxalic tablets. They sit nicely in a varrox pan
Park Beekeeping do them, probably somebody else
Apibioxal is the only legal oxalic

It must be a day for vaping..done my Northumberland hives today and checked three with fondant on them..all is well for now ..- 2 last night and still frosty but the sun is on them none where tightly clustered and the odd bee doing poop flights...all poly by the way.

Minus six here, clear sky so going to get lower tonight that's for sure.

Time to put another log on the stove.

PH

A balmy 8c...Removed the last of the feeders and put on mouseguards on a couple of hives that got missed earlier...

Plenty of logs have gone up the chimney here in this early winter weather not far from yee..

Now have trailer loads of Ash being almost given away in this neck of the (once) woods.
Larch almost all gone, elm just a distant memory, birch and chestnut seem to be dominating.
I wonder if the population would take notice of what we are doing to our environment Nordman fir and the Norwegian spruce were to suffer a similar disease?
I just hope that more infected trees are not imported along with the beetles our foreign friends seem to be happy to live with , and sadly export.

2kg of fondant on colonies yesterday and matchsticks in place, monitor boards removed.

Time to sit back and read my Haynes Bee Manual and put another log in the fire

Latest posts

Back