What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case I certainly agree

It may not be the pc thing to do, but, if you have colony after colony picked off by wasps, there comes a time when its you or them.
Several years ago, I had a whole apiary of 30 colonies killed and robbed out by wasps. I also happen to know that one of the farm workers where I have some of my bees is extremely allergic so it is the farm managers policy to destroy wasps. I would have thought he would be failing in his duty of care to his employees to do anything else.

It may not be the pc thing to do, but, if you have colony after colony picked off by wasps, there comes a time when its you or them.
Several years ago, I had a whole apiary of 30 colonies killed and robbed out by wasps. I also happen to know that one of the farm workers where I have some of my bees is extremely allergic so it is the farm managers policy to destroy wasps. I would have thought he would be failing in his duty of care to his employees to do anything else.
In this day and age with all the helpful information out there, extremes like that are surely in the past.

In this day and age with all the helpful information out there, extremes like that are surely in the past.

Why?
If the chap is allergic, whats he to do?

OIC, you mean the robbing....well...It was a while ago and I didn't know as much then as I do now. I actually abandoned that apiary because things were so bad there.

Last edited:
More feeding duties. I've increased from 6 to 20 colonies but it seems a long drawn out process this year! Cool day with sunny spells but the Buckie's (3 different breeders) are piling in the pollen and have larger colonies than my old mongrels. I'll be interested to see how they over winter as my mongrels survive on next to nothing but can be a little slow to build in the spring.

While checking my Brussels Sprouts for caterpillars, my attention was drawn to a wasp flying around. It landed and at first I thought it was after water but it was soon joined by two more and they were busy cutting a caterpillar (Small White) into three equal parts before flying off for breakfast.
Live and let live.

In this case I certainly agree
Thanks for quoting so I could see it.

ADD I am not sure the Apidea I bonneted at length with photos above is going to make it. Had a quick peek to check fondant and very little activity: all in the rear of the lower box out of sight. I lifted an empty frame in the top box and the Q flew up! A pretty good illustration of why QIs do not work. Fondant untouched as well so I'll leave them till at least Christmas and a fondant check.

Last edited:
Feeders off and I can't believe that they are still on the balsam and Ivy.
Glad to say that all the hives managed to get a little thymolated syrup down their necks.
Notice orientation flights from the Buckfast hive

More syrup added today...they are taking it down on all the colonies now....I'm not sure where they are putting it....seems to disappearing at an alarming rate! Another visit to Farmfoods tomorrow.

appiguard

took last lot of appiguard off today but it looks like wasps have robbed a few of hive so its a mixing night tonight feed tomorrow

took last lot of appiguard off today but it looks like wasps have robbed a few of hive so its a mixing night tonight feed tomorrow

Get your entrance blocks sorted to stop the robbing, it is as easy as ABC, make a tunnel entrance that is impenetrable for wasps, i did last year and it is amusing when a wasp manages to sneak in then quickly turfed back out by several guard bees waiting at the other end of the tunnel.

perfect weather window today - persisted down most of the night but cleared with a nice bit of sun by 10 am for the teaching apiary - apiguard off (seems to be light drops all round this year apart from a few colonies) and feeders on after slight modifications to the crown boards - strange that the holes in the Maisie's crownboards don't match up with the holes in their jumbo feeders!!
Quick trip up to the Carreg apiary to take away all the inspection trays after bleaching the hives but gave a last 'just for luck' blast to a couple of colonies that had pretty heavy drops still (funnily enough two caught swarms - one from last year and one which moved in to an empty hive this season) back home in time for tea and medals (and torrential rain with thunder.)

Topped up feeders and checked my Landlord's bees with him. All hives very busy and well populated. We then inspected a new site for his bees as he can't get any gardening done with the hives in their current location. Great location for his new site will involve the hives under a roof, the area is level and has protection on both sides and to the rear. I told him I was jealous, thinking of those AS manipulations when it's raining but has to be done. A quick visit to the apiary to top up feeders became a couple of hours discussing bees, new apiary sites, bait hive sites and plans to sow wildflowers after clearing the verges. Exciting times.

I bought myself pink and purple posca pens for pimping my home bred queens next year. Did number two vape on the home hives, drop from first round quite small. Melted lots of wax ready for candles, I actually have enough for some pillar candles this year. Made some lip balm but it smells awful as I added cocoa butter and no essential oils. Will donate that batch to hubby for polishing his DM's and eagerly await delivery of essential oils from fleabay. New recipe sourced ready for next batch of lip balm.

Need to jar up more honey and top up feeders tomorrow. Hubby is asking when the bee season is over as I'm still constantly faffing with bee related stuff.

I bought myself pink and purple posca pens for pimping my home bred queens next year. Did number two vape on the home hives, drop from first round quite small. Melted lots of wax ready for candles, I actually have enough for some pillar candles this year. Made some lip balm but it smells awful as I added cocoa butter and no essential oils. Will donate that batch to hubby for polishing his DM's and eagerly await delivery of essential oils from fleabay. New recipe sourced ready for next batch of lip balm.

Need to jar up more honey and top up feeders tomorrow. Hubby is asking when the bee season is over as I'm still constantly faffing with bee related stuff.

The bee season never stops, there is all the preparation for the next season, building up frames, crown boards, boxes and writing shopping lists for the sales, checking your notes, hefting the hives etc.:hairpull:

Back