What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a month of uniting, re-queening and expanding my empty hives are starting to build-up. I was told "no more hives on the decking". Tried to hide them behind the tree!
image.jpg

Moved the garden hives to an out apiary last night. The garden seems very empty this morning. New neighbours are gardening the neglected patch at the extreme bottom of their garden. They are lovely people. The bees didn't like the rotavator! The neighbours are happy for them to come back after rotavating has finished but I think I'll leave them where they are now.

Killed two DLQs last night. Added sealed QCs.
It then rained a lot so gave up.

Edit : tried to mark a queen in a Keiler - worker laying - but she kept flying away so I returned her to the nuc . Today's job - when it stops raining.

Last edited:
Have placed my Q- nuc complete with frame of eggs from breeder queen down at the bottom of the garden. IT seems I now have 6 colonies in the garden (how did that happen?) Time to load the bee mobile up and move a few hives to the farm apiary. The two tower hives are too big to move comfortably so they will both stay (for now). Others will have to be moved. Will keep the breeder egg colony here so I can check for QC. Hopefully will get at least three and they won't be conjoined. Will give each QC its own little nuc to complete the transformation to mated queen :)

Phase 2 (out of 3) completed on angry mob today. Test frame with QCs four days ago so united back to the other half of AS, across two supers. Took it all down today to put the test frame back and check bottom box Q+....yes eggs.
The queen in the bottom has laid practically all the frames solid so gave them an empty super for brood and a half.Why oh why are these bees now on a 14x12 and a shallow such horrid little buggers. The old brood box is solidly full of nectar and pollen and is now on top for the bees to rob out. I took a pollen frame out for one of the LASI nucs.
Next phase is to re-queen after all the honey comes off. I have a sweet colony on standard frames that will do nicely.

Went to see my colony from hell whose queen I haven't been able to find. Previously they rose up and gathered round the veil. Tonight they were calm.

Looking through I realised there were no eggs and that my attempt to find HM and kill her had been achieved by accident. I removed the emergency cells and merged them.

I hadn't realised the presence of a nasty queen was so strong on behaviour, having thought it was all genes.

Checked my new colony and spotted the queen, which as a newbie I was rather pleased aboUt. She was magnificently strolling along a frame a cool as a anything which is maybe why the bees are so placid. I've even been able to work on them with no suit. I am very much hoping I can get them up to strength for the winter.

The main colony are going like the clappers so I've made up a fourth super to put on tomorrow.

Just watched the bees bringing loads of yellow pollen, they have not been actively gathering pollen like this for weeks.

Missed inspecting one hive last week. Opened it yesterday. 9 sealed queen cells, one opened, no eggs, only a few larvae, and capped brood.

Lesson learned. :cuss:

Watched a newly mated Q take to wing and fly away during quick check! Also broke queen catcher....Not a good day! :hairpull:

Inspected them this morning before I shoot off on holiday for two weeks. All ok, a few frames left in the super for them to fill so gave them another super incase required whilst I'm away.

This is my FIRST, beekeeping duty, as I return to the hobby in six months, after my serious road traffic accident in January, where I was almost killed, and very lucky to be alive, thanks to French Engineering (Citroen and Michelin!). I now know first hand what it feels like to be a crash test dummy at 65 mph, slammed into a wall!

I've earned that T-Shirt!

which has meant, putting my life on HOLD. I also return to work next week, on a phased return to work, after six months signed off work. Now I'm signed fit for work!

Checked on cast swarm earlier this morning, they are still present. I will transfer to poly nuc, which I've currently painted with Cuprinol Shades Somerset Green, (my home County!) But for now, they can stay in-situ in the national, and see if they build up for over wintering.

Decided I would start a little feed 1:1, so took down a super, feeder, clear crown board with hole. I'll return this evening to fill.

They are very passive at present, but then again, three frames of bees, is not many bees!

I've spent some time lifting brood boxes and supers, and I now really feel poorly, hence my delay in transferring them today from national to poly-nuc, I'm just not up to manipulations, let alone the bees!

I stopped taking pain killers weeks ago, I thought they were not working, but they certainly do work.

I'm going to rest now, but I'm really glad to be back again, I've missed Beekeeping!

I think once it's in your blood.......

Einstein - I wondered where you'd gone. Glad you survived.
Welcome back to beekeeping

Obee

Latest posts

Back