What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still here and that's proof!

And for that we are all happy...Welcome back. It's horrible when you want to do stuff but your body won't let you. Get fit slowly and only do what you can...only do the best bits!

Hi Andy, Sounds bad what you have been through. Pace yourself, little and often does it. Welcome back and I am pleased you have got some bees to look after.

:welcome: back Einstein.

Hope you regain your strength quickly..(but slowly slowly is better).

Tried to mark Queen in Kieler that flew away last time. She did it again.:hairpull:

I'll leave her a week..

This is my FIRST, beekeeping duty, as I return to the hobby in six months, after my serious road traffic accident in January, where I was almost killed, and very lucky to be alive, thanks to French Engineering (Citroen and Michelin!). I now know first hand what it feels like to be a crash test dummy at 65 mph, slammed into a wall!

I've earned that T-Shirt!

which has meant, putting my life on HOLD. I also return to work next week, on a phased return to work, after six months signed off work. Now I'm signed fit for work!

Checked on cast swarm earlier this morning, they are still present. I will transfer to poly nuc, which I've currently painted with Cuprinol Shades Somerset Green, (my home County!) But for now, they can stay in-situ in the national, and see if they build up for over wintering.

Decided I would start a little feed 1:1, so took down a super, feeder, clear crown board with hole. I'll return this evening to fill.

They are very passive at present, but then again, three frames of bees, is not many bees!

I've spent some time lifting brood boxes and supers, and I now really feel poorly, hence my delay in transferring them today from national to poly-nuc, I'm just not up to manipulations, let alone the bees!

I stopped taking pain killers weeks ago, I thought they were not working, but they certainly do work.

I'm going to rest now, but I'm really glad to be back again, I've missed Beekeeping!

I think once it's in your blood.......

I'm available to help if you need me Andy. I'm almost back to normal now (I can manage a full super from hive to barrow), so between the two of us manipulations can be managed :)
Pm me or phone as required.

John

reduced my entrances down as wasps are about.

Thanks for all the kind words, and encouragement!

Small cast of bees found the syrup I put on last night and taking it down, some pollen going in this morning, which is a good sign, and the first time I've seen pollen going in.

and talking of wasps, noticed a few around so I might bring moving into poly 6 frame nuc sooner rather than later. Entranced reduced. It's now all painted and drying in the sun.

I just tire very easily at present, and need to do things in small portions. (and understanding I'm not superman!)

@Gilberdyke John That's very kind, if I struggle, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Just checking my hives quickly to see if any needed more supers, and what did I find lurking behind Hive 2a?

A bearded dragon!

Now trying to find out who it's owner is as I really don't want dogs, cats, rabbits, bees AND a bearded dragon lol

Attachments

• DSC_0015-1.jpg
    DSC_0015-1.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 36
Went through 15 hives today, giving them the once over. Took some fully capped frames off and gave them frames with foundation in return. Took some cut comb off and processed it. Made up a Nuc and added a frame of eggs from our breeder queen, also made up 3 Apidea's ready for queen cells to be added.

Went to my first meeting with the local BKA. Wow!. We inspected a few hives, and transferred a Nuc into a brood box.

Went through 15 hives today, giving them the once over. Took some fully capped frames off and gave them frames with foundation in return. Took some cut comb off and processed it. Made up a Nuc and added a frame of eggs from our breeder queen, also made up 3 Apidea's ready for queen cells to be added.

I peeked in on my nuc with eggs from breeder queen and think I saw a few QC.
Started spinning out some of the frames I took off the three garden hives

husband got stung whilst cutting the hedge.:ohthedrama:
His first sting of the year (I'm probably on my hundredth) You'd think I didn't know what a sting feels like judging by the amount of times he's told me how much it hurts and shown me the 'lump' on his forehead - which is not even noticeable! Men!

Went to my first meeting with the local BKA. Wow!. We inspected a few hives, and transferred a Nuc into a brood box.

Exciting isn't it? I could barely contain myself the first time I visited a local association apiary with over 20 hives in it! My main observation was 'wow isn't it quiet?'

I am sitting in the house awaiting delivery of my new 6 frame nuc box from P@ynes at present. FedEx so I could be waiting a while.....

Exciting isn't it? I could barely contain myself the first time I visited a local association apiary with over 20 hives in it! My main observation was 'wow isn't it quiet?'

I am sitting in the house awaiting delivery of my new 6 frame nuc box from P@ynes at present. FedEx so I could be waiting a while.....

Yes, seeing that many bees airborne is quite a sight! I have visited a five hive apiary, so this was a step up again. Hope your bees arrive PDQ.

Yes, seeing that many bees airborne is quite a sight! I have visited a five hive apiary, so this was a step up again. Hope your bees arrive PDQ.

Thanks, it is actually just a hive not the bees. Just a bigger box for the smaller colony to overwinter in hopefully.

I found I was quite calm until I had to do my first solo inspection of my larger colony. That really was quite nerve racking but once you have done it a couple of times it gets easier.

Best of luck with your beekeeping venture. You aiming to start in the spring?

I just heard that I'll be getting 3 VSH queens instead of the 2 I expected. I just hope they get here faster than the last consignment I received from The Netherlands which took 7 days (these queens are laying well now).
I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Scotland on Saturday so it is cutting things a bit fine

I just heard that I'll be getting 3 VSH queens instead of the 2 I expected. I just hope they get here faster than the last consignment I received from The Netherlands which took 7 days (these queens are laying well now).
I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Scotland on Saturday so it is cutting things a bit fine

I hope I can get some bees off you one day B+

In the apiary today one hive swarmed ( caught ) next door throwing out drones ! Hey ho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

..maybe earlier. Now the decision has been made it's hard to wait!

It is but it might be worth the wait. Try spring with an overwintered nuc. Spend winter learning as much as you can.

I know from first hand experience that jumping in at the deep end doesn't end well unless you have a decent bee buddy locally.

I hope your first year is less incidental than mine. :spy:

Back