What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. I needed to order foundation anyway so ordered frame nails from Thornes along with it. Might as well get the most out of the £6 postage lol

I'm gonna have a go at hand building them but I have ordered a nail gun too. Not from thornes.

I will let you know how it goes

Cut up a sheet of ply for nucs according to the cutlist program - I'll have a go at assembling them during the week, and I'll see how they come out.

I checked the hives - one is still heavy and has hardly touched the fondant, and the other two are going through it fairly quickly - they'll need another slab soon. There are 4 seams of bees in all three hives: is that healthy for this time of year, or should I be worried?

Cut up a sheet of ply for nucs according to the cutlist program - I'll have a go at assembling them during the week, and I'll see how they come out.

I checked the hives - one is still heavy and has hardly touched the fondant, and the other two are going through it fairly quickly - they'll need another slab soon. There are 4 seams of bees in all three hives: is that healthy for this time of year, or should I be worried?

Fine. If they have stores, they will survive..

We finally got round to cutting a sheet of powder coated metal sheet into hive roofs, had enough for 8 National roofs for £20. We needed a bending machine to bend it but I think its worth the hassle.

hefted the home apiary hives - most still have plenty of stores, fondant put on the lightest and only one hive that I'd given fondant to a few weeks ago were making inroads into it.

Popped down to Wilko to buy a new fire extinguisher and buckets :D

Not my experience at all ... gimp pins can be readily pulled out of frames and aren't too secure. In contrast, those driven in with a nail gun are there to stay. I'm not saying that panel pins won't do the job ... they will, just that the two I list are very different in my experience.

Depends if you put them in right.

I don't know much, but I can put a frame together, using the right nails.

nice job,any one got a better way to fold the corners?

I cut the roof at the corners like a carboard box (see a shoebox top) and bend them in a Workmate..Don't look as nice but very easy to do..Recalcitrant bits sorted with a timber block and hammer...

Good thing about using printer's plates. Can cut with strong scissors and bend easily. No need to cut the corners either as they fold nicely, maintaining the integrity of the sheet. No chance of leaks.

Hi drex, where can you get printers plates large enough for a national roof? I've only been able to source small ones, (A4 prints, I think), big enough for a nuc but not a full roof...ta

Checked 6 of the 13 colonies. Swapped out all the floors on these and flamed the old ones. All colonies had numerous frames of food left from over wintering.
I had treated all hives with vaporised oxalyic acid 4 weeks ago and checked them for mite drop three days after all hives had little or no mite drop then but I left the boards in on three, three weeks later I still had zero drop on 2 and 1 on the other.
All hives have at least 4 or more partially filled frames of brood and on my strongest hive I have introduced a contact feeder with 1:1 sugar mixture in an attempt to simulate a nectar flow as I want to both do a split in this one later as and use one portion for queen rearing.

There's none so pious as the recently converted !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back