What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18°C today and 8 out of 9 colonies were busy, flying in all directions. The 9th was humming loudly but I might have to take a veil and smoker next week and have a peak in to see exactly what stores are left. No oxalic done but will wait and see what temps are like in January.

OA Treatment

Temp 14 degrees and overcast. All colonies active some even bringing in pollen. Added fondant above inner covers and administered 2g of Oxalic Acid to each via the vaporiser.

... but I might have to take a veil and smoker next week and have a peak in to see exactly what stores are left.

Same poster from an earlier thread:

My planned date is 18th, which is my kids last day at school, 23rd when they go to their mum's for holiday, and 28th

Now doesn't that demonstrate the futility of fixing dates? Poster put up a thread on oxalic sublimation (possibly after some experience with a banned(?) drug) without any particular thought, other than clearly wanting to treat at his convenience - and with no consideration for the bees, weather or any other factor.

(SIGH) After all the advice on the forum re unnecessary interference in the winter period, we have yet another a beek who apparently has not heard of hefting, even after several years of supposed beekeeping. (SIGH) Little wonder lots of new beeks get the wrong messages.

I agree. I had a cunning plan to catch my problem hive between two brood cycles which I managed to do. The others will have to wait until Jan possibly February.

Managed to catch another one of those mythical queens that lays 20,000 eggs a day on her fortnight off eh?

What did I do in the apiary today? Absolutely nothing. Left well alone.

Wow, common sense at last.

Why is it called common... seems to be uncommon pretty much to me!:icon_204-2:

The sun has just come out and it is 14 degrees... must go look inside the beehives to see if they are still there and what they are up to:nono:

Nadelik lowen

... but I might have to take a veil and smoker next week and have a peak in to see exactly what stores are left.

My planned date is 18th, which is my kids last day at school, 23rd when they go to their mum's for holiday, and 28th

Now doesn't that demonstrate the futility of fixing dates? Poster put up a thread on oxalic sublimation (possibly after some experience with a banned(?) drug) without any particular thought, other than clearly wanting to treat at his convenience - and with no consideration for the bees, weather or any other factor.

(SIGH) After all the advice on the forum re unnecessary interference in the winter period, we have yet another a beek who apparently has not heard of hefting, even after several years of supposed beekeeping. (SIGH) Little wonder lots of new beeks get the wrong messages.

My bees, my choice. Advice was given to me by a very experienced beek, who said 'If you wanna take a look, do so'. Which is best a heft and a guess or having a proper look by opening them on a warm day? It was 18°c, that is warm enough for an inspection. You need to get a grip, there is not only 1 way to keep bees.

Hawklord,
It may well have been 18 degrees but it is still Winter. I8 degrees in Summer is accompanied by longer days with conditions these higher temps over a longer period create; the land has warmed up. If a large cloud blocked out the sun, you would notice it far more now than you would in July (regardless of how poor a summer it is)
The bees know it's winter and they prepared their home for it.

The colony wasn't flying so I presume there is some sort of problem. Entrance blocked, lack of sores, disease? Is it not better to try and resolve this problem now or let the colony die out and get robbed causing a risk to the other colony's in the apiary?

Positive feetback

Agreed Hawklord
Far better to be encouraging, supportive and positive rather than find fault. If I've learnt anything from my beekeeping friends - I've learnt this.....We are a diverse range of people all preferring to do things in our own way, but we have one thing in common - we all want to do the best for our bees!

Last edited:
I weighed the hive this morning, on the 15th October it weighed 97lbs today it weighed 95lbs i know they are still out foraging now and again but i thought they would have got through more than that.

My Buckie colonies are similar.
Don't worry, I'm not worried about mine.
The colony wasn't flying so I presume there is some sort of problem.

What did you find Hawklord?

The bees know it's winter and they prepared their home for it.
That's why I'm so loathe to crack the crown board for oxalic and why vaping seems so much better.

Last edited:

Something else I've thought is wrong with your post is plans. It is fine to have a plan and change it as necessary, but to have no plan at all is a recipe for disaster.

Something else I've thought is wrong with your post is plans. It is fine to have a plan and change it as necessary, but to have no plan at all is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think you can accuse RAB of not forward planning .. the plan, always, IMO has to be to close them up for winter with plenty of stores and apart from checking the hive weights leave them be.

The only winter treatment for varroa that I feel is warranted is OA Sublimation which avoids the need to open the top of the hive - the last thing anyone should be doing is disturbing the bees winter preparations 'just to see'.

If they are short on stores (and they really should not be this early on) a slab of fondant on top of the frames will be minimal disturbance. Or - what I have is crown boards with feeder holes that are blocked but easily opened and it's a doddle to remove the feeder hole plug and slap an inverted container of fondant over the hole - they will find it if the hive is insulated sufficiently for them to move around.

If there is anything amiss with the colony other than a lack of stores or a heavy varroa load there is precious little that can be done at this time of the year.

A lot can be gleaned from putting in an inspection board (mine stay in all the time) for a week or so and look where there is debris. One of the nice things about having the board in all the time is that you can actually track the activity in the hive.

Intervention, planned or otherwise, during winter is not what your bees want .. one of the reasons why I think OA trickling is less than kind.

Was it Von Moltke who said 'No battle plan survives contact with the enemy' ? .. Strategy requires thought not rote ...

Back