What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oli, i think you really need to think about what your bees really need in the winter (and at any other time?). I think you have got if about 100% wrong. Sorry. Think here overwintering requirements, brood space, how bees like to arrange their stores, -in facf just about everything.. think also about early swarming.

At least you have not yet decided, in advance, of how best to proceed. A lot of thought on that might help in preventing early swarming.

RAB

Also with that amount of stores still in there at least Oli has now taken the fondant off.

Even with this warm winter only 4 of my colonies have fondant on and that was due to them not taking enough syrup in the autumn. this time last year I had fondant on all and then had to remove about 80% as it wasn't needed.

This year I have been hefting weekly when putting pollen patties on and I have learnt a lot about the weights.

I'm here to learn, hence my post! What exactly do you think I have 100% wrong and why?

My aim with this colony is that they will be ready to swarm early as i'd like a second colony in the garden.

Oli
I'd like to know too. I have a clue, but like a challenge when the more experienced can enlighten

had lots of bees collecting water on the moss in the chalkpit.

I'd like to know too. I have a clue, but like a challenge when the more experienced can enlighten

I think what Rab was getting at is that if you want new bees and expansion in order to get your second colony you need to allow some space for laying, it's important to get a feel of weight of your hive and 'know' if it feels light rather than just add fondant. Mine have consumed very little in the way of stores this winter and as such I'm more concerned the queen is currently limited in space to lay rather than lacking stores! I'll prob have to take some of the store frames out once the weather picks up.

Here forests are more and more white - but not because of snow, wild plums started to bloom a week ago. Heavy loads of pollen in continuance ( bees all yellow covered with pollen returning to hives). Now nectar more and more, bees started to produce wax - burr comb and combs are whitish.. Still cannot process how early all is.. Seems will go for queen rearing and splitting before main forage, weird for me but in the end.. We will see. Already some new queens seems very promising ( tightly packed seams - 9 seams lang)..

By the way does some need few early queens:D

I'm here to learn, hence my post! What exactly do you think I have 100% wrong and why?

My aim with this colony is that they will be ready to swarm early as i'd like a second colony in the garden.

Oli

One hive has eaten 4 kilo in 2 weeks

What does that tell you?

What will you need to do if the weather comes very cold?

Think ahead, beyond placing more fondant on there just because they have consumed it.

AND WHAT WOULD THAT BE????? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO???? PLEASE TELL ME

What it tells you is to THINK ... RAB may be a bit cryptic in his comments but I've found that I've learned more about my beekeeping by listening to what RAB hasn't said sometimes than from those who spoon feed advice and possible solutions. His bedside manner may take the skin off your back but sometimes, just sometimes, tough love is what we all need. Live with it and learn .... tell him what you think YOUR solution is and you will find that there's a very helpful and knowledgeable beekeeper under the sandpaper surface ..

Oli

They will swarm not as a result of their being a large mature colony but as a result of their crowded conditions. You may well then have two colonies but they will be small.
Eight frames of food at this time of year is way too much. You should be thinking of removing some and replacing with drawn comb as foundation is not space to lay.

They will swarm not as a result of their being a large mature colony but as a result of their crowded conditions. You may well then have two colonies but they will be small.
Eight frames of food at this time of year is way too much. You should be thinking of removing some and replacing with drawn comb as foundation is not space to lay.

Okay, thank you. My plan was that by placing the super which I suspect will be nearly empty onto the top of the brood box would allow the bees to move stores up and make space for more brood while keeping the stores they have. Is this not likely to work?

I don't know what your weather is like there but here is far too cold to add a super or inspect a hive.

I don't know what your weather is like there but here is far too cold to add a super or inspect a hive.

I'm not adding a new super, simply moving the super currently underneath the brood box onto the top of the brood box. Yesterday was warm, sunny and free from wind, I'm waiting for another day the same before opening the hive again, I suspect it will be a couple of weeks at least before I can do anything else with them.

You are adding a super. If you want to keep them as brood and a half then keep that super on top over winter. That way it will be full of bees not empty frames to heat.
Wait till they have built up a bit.
If you haven't any drawn brood combs and the queen is seriously short of laying space I would take out a frame of food and put in a super frame.....better than nothing......OR spin out a brood frame, (if possible) and put it back one side of the brood nest........All this can wait till it's warmer though.

Here forests are more and more white - but not because of snow, wild plums started to bloom a week ago. Heavy loads of pollen in continuance ( bees all yellow covered with pollen returning to hives). Now nectar more and more, bees started to produce wax - burr comb and combs are whitish.. Still cannot process how early all is.. Seems will go for queen rearing and splitting before main forage, weird for me but in the end.. We will see. Already some new queens seems very promising ( tightly packed seams - 9 seams lang)..

By the way does some need few early queens:D
I agree Goran, things are starting a little early, what's going to happen eh?

We have a bee tree !!!!!!
Now to cut sections and measure density. Already we can see the wood is not really like piece of timber, it appears drier than than fresh cut timber. It has a foam like light layer on the inside. I now need lots more samples.

Many thanks Pete.

Watched the new swarm bringing pollen into the hive, picked some green beans and a butternut squash, picked a few more peaches then put more sun block on

Go on ... just rub it in ... I've just come in from a check round the garden, it's a howling gale and absolutely peeing down ...the garden (which had dried slightly after two days of dry and at time sunny weather) is a quagmire again ... hope you enjoy your peaches ...

Last Sunday, I cleared a mess by a few of my hives of bramble and put down some plastic sheeting to clear the ground and suppress the weeds.

This Saturday, I set up a new stand of pieces from a VERY LARGE pallet (about 6" x 4" and 8' long) I've had hanging around the allotment for a couple of seasons. Should get three hives on there comfortably.

Moved a couple of Hives about 3' closer to these stands. Will move them again next week and one will have to move in one 50' move.

Plenty of pollen going in. Some looks like hazel and some must be crocus or suchlike, but I didn't have time to stand and stare, alas.

Thought I'd take the opportunity of a nice day on Saturday to have a sort out of stored equipment and frames ready to get started on the new season. Gutted to find that my stored drawn brood frames which I thought were securely sealed have be attacked by wax moths. What a mess they've made, it's easy to see how they can wipe out a colony if they get a hold !

Odd foray for pollen but still too cold Brrrrrrr

Beware early swarming when the queen runs out of space. You can't rely on the bees consuming the stores. You might have to take frames out.
Happened to me one year. Fed too much over winter; no room in the Spring; off they went.

Thanks, Erica; sorry for the delayed reply. You've got me a bit nervous now. Not panicked, because I remember some room from my last inspection, and they are 5kg lighter now, but a bit nervous. First spring and swarming season nervous...

I had a brood box with some drawn comb down below over the winter but I suspect they will ignore that for a long time; the brood nest is in the usual place, up against the front of the poly hive. If it warms up, I may slip a couple of the drawn frames between the nest and the wall.

Last edited:
Thought I'd take the opportunity of a nice day on Saturday to have a sort out of stored equipment and frames ready to get started on the new season. Gutted to find that my stored drawn brood frames which I thought were securely sealed have be attacked by wax moths. What a mess they've made, it's easy to see how they can wipe out a colony if they get a hold !

He Beesand,
That's a real bummer! As a matter of interest did you freeze the frames or treat them before storage?

Back