What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He Beesand,
That's a real bummer! As a matter of interest did you freeze the frames or treat them before storage?

Hey Beeno

Yes, I froze them but was out smarted by a moth that found the tiniest of gaps and moved in. Oh well, no point crying over spoilt frames :hairpull:

We have a bee tree !!!!!!
Now to cut sections and measure density. Already we can see the wood is not really like piece of timber, it appears drier than than fresh cut timber. It has a foam like light layer on the inside. I now need lots more samples.

Many thanks Pete.

Now problem Derek, as I said happy birthday :spy:

:nono:
Beautiful weather . Love to visit the apiary but swmbo wishes to waste the afternoon in a bloody garden centre!
Isn't it always the case .
When it's pi**ing down she'll remark on the lawn looking seedy :hairpull:
VM

:nono:
Beautiful weather . Love to visit the apiary but swmbo wishes to waste the afternoon in a bloody garden centre!
Isn't it always the case .
When it's pi**ing down she'll remark on the lawn looking seedy :hairpull:
VM

Drop her off at the garden centre then pick her back up later?
Win win, she gets to shop without you harassing her to hurry up, you get to spend time at your apiary. A bit of me time all round :hurray:

I didnt touch my bee tree, as this day was spent on the phone to BT and Demon trying to get a plan of action to fix my broadband, while the final heat transfer tests on the final hive (fingers crossed) are running.

Drop her off at the garden centre then pick her back up later?

Win win, she gets to shop without you harassing her to hurry up, you get to spend time at your apiary. A bit of me time all round :hurray:

Got her there early , chased her round the massive complex the local rose growers' place has become . Cost me to get her out of the place but managed to get down to the apiary by 3'clock :) .
All colonies flying well and bringing in lots of pollen ,mainly from crocus I suspect!
Pussy willow is a while off flowering by the look of it!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took advantage of the weather and visited the allotment where the bees are located and was pleased to see all hives very busy collecting pollen. Lets hope we have seen the worst of the winter weather this year and we can look forward to the temperatures slowly rising as they are going to do for the rest of this week and into next week. :sunning:

Crocked my back today just in time for the bee season. Damn it!
Cazza

I know how you feel, been there and what cured it was putting my socks on standing up, I know it sounds strange but whatever was trapped in my back was realised by a quick bending of the back, it was not done intentionally but I was late for work and rushing.

I know how you feel, been there and what cured it was putting my socks on standing up, I know it sounds strange but whatever was trapped in my back was realised by a quick bending of the back, it was not done intentionally but I was late for work and rushing.

Thank you both for your kind support. Just crawled out of bed like a very very old lady! Not sure I could face the pain of a quick bend! A lifting belt and strong painkillers will get me through the day. Thankfully no need to work with the bees for the next two weeks as far as I can see.
Cazza

I normally don't open the bees until Spring but today I had a gut feeling that I should check the garden nuc. It was sunny and warm and the bees were flying. They still had a small amount of fondant above the crown board. Inside, instead of frames full of sugar there were 2 frames of brood but the other 4 were almost empty. It appears that they are using the container of fondant as a filling station as and when they need it. I then topped up the fondant to be on the safe side.

I was worried that they would be short of brood space and would swarm later this month. However, plenty of bees and brood but mostly empty frames where I would expect stored sugar.

I have changed the recipe from a harder candy in previous years to a soft fondant this year. They used to store the candy in the frames but maybe they see no point in moving the softer version.

Got my first sting of the year and wasn't even in the apiary .
I was gathering up timber off cuts to burn whilst tidying the rear garden .
I'd just carried a few bits and was about to toss them on the fire when, zapp! I'd also carried a dopey Queen wasp which had stung me .
She'd made it through the Winter but is no more!
VM

Got my first sting of the year and wasn't even in the apiary .
I was gathering up timber off cuts to burn whilst tidying the rear garden .
I'd just carried a few bits and was about to toss them on the fire when, zapp! I'd also carried a dopey Queen wasp which had stung me .
She'd made it through the Winter but is no more!
VM

got called to a dorma bungalow today.... bees under tile and they wanted them removing.. so went and removed 3 boards and there they were.. old wax was 3 or 4 foot long.. managed to get bees, didnt see the queen so hoping shese in the nuc box will leave for a week or 2 and have a look then sort the frames out

Got my first sting of the year

Got my first (two) in Africa - went to open a hive with no gloves on! still, really gentle and no followers - the six spectators (unprotected and a few yards away) didn't get bothered at all by them

got called to a dorma bungalow today.... bees under tile and they wanted them removing.. so went and removed 3 boards and there they were.. old wax was 3 or 4 foot long.. managed to get bees, didnt see the queen so hoping shese in the nuc box will leave for a week or 2 and have a look then sort the frames out

Do you have some images?

Back